Author Topic: Old Maps of Blackburn  (Read 407 times)

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Maps of Blackburn
« on: Sunday 01 November 20 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Hoping to find out when house numbers were first indicated on old ordnance survey maps as I am trying to find out where 16 Hargreaves Lane in Blackburn was, the street name off Bolton Road is still there but most of the original houses have now been demolished.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Maps of Blackburn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 20 21:16 GMT (UK) »
House numbers have only been recorded on 1/1250 maps since 1946, and on basic scale 1/2500 maps since 1955. and not before then. What date are you looking at?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 20 21:30 GMT (UK) »
There are no house numbers shown for Hargreaves Lane on the 1955-1956 1/1250 Ordnance Survey Map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 20 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the information.
I am trying to locate number 16 Hargreaves Lane Blackburn BB2 3PZ as my Grandfather was born there in October 1878.
Looking at the map shots the most detailed one is the 1893 1:500 scale map, the odd numbers 1-7 are on the left entering Hargreaves Lane from Bolton Road but it is difficult working out the even numbers on the right as it works around to Union Street.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 20 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Aurelia -- there is a small photo of Hargreaves Lane, Blackburn on the Cotton Town website - just shows the end of it - but also the cobbles! Hence you would tend to think that the houses were like the one shown.

http://www.cottontown.org/ImageGalleries/library/IMG/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=6025&RootFolder=/ImageGalleries/library/IMG
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 20 14:40 GMT (UK) »
For years I used to refer to "Historical Directories", which eventually was given a website by Leicester University.  Unfortunately their website now states they've offloaded the majority of the directories to ancestry and FindMyPast.  All these websites do is record an address for an ancestor - absolutely no more details than that.

These old street and trade directories were a mine of information, about the background of an ancestor's life and a very good idea of what the street looked like.  Was there a corner shop or a school on the corner?  Old streets used to have terraces then a gap for a "yard", possibly a back entry to the pub in the next street, etc.   The neighbours would be a big clue as to whether they and the ancestors had occupations that afforded everyone to wear a pair of shoes.  One of my city ancestors had a neighbour down the street who was a "cow keeper", quite a big clue that there was either an allotment or a field nearby - and many northerners liked to breed and race pigeons, which would need a small allotment.  If there was a bit of green grass nearby then I'd bet there would be whippet racing, where a row of excited dogs held at one end of the field (until the start whistle)  and an owner at the other end of the field shouting and holding out some form of a doggie treat..

Maybe Blackburn library has a better option than shown on the website.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 20 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that Blackburn Library does have trade directories in it's Community Studies Dept.

https://www.blackburn.gov.uk/libraries-and-reading/local-history

Just tab down the page -- however I assume you would need a member of staff to do a look up for you. You can email or ring -- but will they still be open after the anticipated lockdown on Thursday!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.