Author Topic: Help deciphering certificates  (Read 528 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering certificates
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 November 20 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Maybe he was being breastfed and the Mum was malnourished, she wouldn't know that it would affect the child or how much nourishment he was getting. Mothers often were the worse fed in lean times  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Elliebean54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering certificates
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 November 20 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Maybe he was being breastfed and the Mum was malnourished, she wouldn't know that it would affect the child or how much nourishment he was getting. Mothers often were the worse fed in lean times  :-\
Carol

That’s very true. It’s also got to be significant he died 11 days after his mother was buried - she has such a common name we’re still tracking down her death certificate to get an exact date and cause of death. But other burials all seem to happen within a week so I’m guessing she died (also in an infirmary) 2-3 weeks before he did suggesting she may not have been in a position to feed or care for him properly.

It’s heart breaking really. He was my grandmothers younger brother and her dad made such a good and devoted job of raising the 4 young children he was left with on his own and always spoke openly about the child he lost which in itself was unusual at a time when most other infants were never spoken about again. It’s awful to think he just wasted away. The certificate says his father was with him when he died :(