Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 1st November  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 1st November
« on: Sunday 01 November 20 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Sunday 1st November

Was about to put the light out last night when I looked at my phone and saw a reminder to book a Tesco delivery. I already had the next two booked and have usually been able to book during the day for the slot I want, but the new lockdown will probably mean that more people are booking so I wanted to get in as soon as the slots became available after midnight. Instead of picking items I now just add the whole of the basket from my last order and will edit it near the time, although I did immediately remove a large bottle of detergent. It's much quicker to do it that way and even if I forgot to make changes my essentials are there. Could hear a helicopter circling around, presumably the police.

Another day when it was blowing a hooligan, a sunny day though. Was thinking of going for a walk when my friend L rang, I told her that I'd emailed the art teacher about the noise during the Zoom classes, L agrees with me that it's disruptive and annoying. She'd actually left before the end of the class when the worst bit of it occurred.

It was getting towards lunchtime, I decided to have a go at making some hummus. Unfortunately it wasn't a success and much as I hate wasting food I ended up chucking it all in the bin. I'll stick with the ready made stuff in future. Now I need to think of what I can do with the rest of the jar of tahini.

Had a sandwich instead and went for a walk, it was still really windy, I didn't stay out long as it was making me too breathless. There were a number of children on the field, a couple of retired teachers in my art class told me that windy weather makes children behave in a really hyper manner.  There were lots of seagulls too, a lot on the ground all facing in the same direction, and some soaring above.

When I came home I started some work on what I hope will be my Christmas card, I'm using any acrylic pour as the basis. I'm directing the paint more on this rather than leaving it to chance, and doing different areas separately. So far so good.

My friend A phoned to see how I'm getting on, she had arranged a date in about a week to have a new carpet laid, she doesn't know whether that will go ahead. I asked if she heard the helicopter last night, she hadn't but she told me that there had been a burglary at a café in town and at a pub in the nearby village. Perhaps they were looking for the culprits.

Roasted a chicken with potatoes and carrots, also did cauliflower, broccoli and broad beans. I'd forgotten to order Yorkshire puds, couldn't be bothered making any and didn't even know if I have any flour. Dinner was great anyway.

Was watching TV when I came across a programme with Michael Palin talking about his screen career. There were sketches from Monty Python, Ripping Yarns and Life of Brian. I haven't laughed so much since 2019.   :D

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 1st November
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 20 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Apparently it is a well known fact by teachers that windy days turn children into hooligans

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 20 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - well done for getting advanced slots booked... I did the same last week as they seem to be getting filled up and will be even more so now... I usually puta £40 bottle of champagne in my basket then go back at my leisure ...one of these days I’m going to forget I’m sure!
Yes, it’s true what they say about children and windy days...
I saw the Michael Palin programme advertised... I like him so will have to catch up with it... well done starting you Christmas card design... need to do mine just got last 50+ face coverings to do first...

Today has been a dull and dreary day... warmer outside than in the house...
Read the papers as usual... lots on US election, Sean Connery, new lockdown  rules... not much else... magazines didn’t have any really interesting articles in and the crossword I virtually finished... change if compiler I think... or more I knew answers to!
After lunch daughter FaceTimed so we had a nice chat with her and the boys... always lifts the spirits when I see them but then sad when we say goodbye... talked about Christmas... not much to say as who knows what’s going to happen..
OH disappointed no more golf... ridiculous really as it’s outside only plays with one other... I am sorry too as that means he’s at home all the time.... think I’ll be hibernating in my work room making Christmas cards for a month!
Did the ironing, listened to the radio.. Book club had the author of the last book we read so I found it interesting to listen to her and others thoughts about it...
Dinner was roast beef, pots, parsnips, Yorkshire’s, green vegs...
Watched tv... New series called Roadkill... not too bad ...
Came to bed early for a read...
Very windy out tonight...

Hope alls well with everyone else

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 20 00:00 GMT (UK) »
So sorry to hear you are going back into lockdown. Boris wants to save Christmas.
I am amazed at what you can still do in lockdown. Just 2 things spring to mind and that is you can still get takeaways and children still going to school.
Since our lockdown in March (NZ), we have had 2 community outbreaks. The first one in August we all went up to level 2 and some new rules regarding the wearing of marks came in. Auckland went into full lockdown. Our next outbreak was a couple of weeks ago where an engineer working on a ship managed to get infected. He got tested as soon as he became unwell. 2 workmates and a household contact also caught it. No need for any lockdown measures. Close contacts were asked for self-isolate, which they did. Most of our cases are caught at the border, so helping to stop it getting into the community.
We are constantly reminded to use the tracing apt whenever we are out or sign in. All places need a QR code and a sign-in sheet. We are still in level 1, but level 1 is not level none.
It really gets me mad that some people think the rules don't apply to them and they won't get it anyway because everyone else is doing as instructed.

Well, Guy Fawkes is just around the corner. Fireworks go on sale on Monday but Saturday night people were out letting off fireworks. Guessing these were leftover from last year. Along with the fireworks making a noise just about every dog in my area were voicing their opinion.

Just been pottering around in my garden now that spring is here. Roast Beef, roast potatoes and beans for my main meal tonight. T.V and bed

Stay safe Stay strong
Carol
P.S. Just read Prince William had a bad dose of coronavirus early this year but kept it secret as he didn't want to alarm anybody.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 20 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Carol, I am surprised you can buy fireworks in NZ. They have been illegal here for years!

Roobarb, tahini should keep fairly well. I make a sauce of tahini, water, lemon juice and crushed garlic to drizzle over middle eastern themed meals. There are lots of recipes on the internet.

Caroline, I feel your pain having hubby home all day. Though yours does sound very good with his bread making and summer bbq-ing, it’s nice to have a regular break from them.  ;)

My Sunday was very quiet - went to the supermarket looking for Marmite. None to be found which made me quite annoyed actually. Visited daughter. Took my dog for a short walk - it was quite hot and humid so not very pleasant trudging around the streets.

Below average purchased quiche and salad for dinner. I was expecting it to be a bit tastier.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 20 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Fireworks for sale everywhere. They are slowly narrowing down the days that you can buy them. SPCA and a lot of other groups want them banned. They are a B*#*#Y nuisance as far as I am concerned and expensive. $150 for a small box. I had a house fire in the 1980s started by fireworks. Skyrockets were banned shortly after and then tom thumbs.
The problem I have is they start on 1 Nov and finish sometime in the New Year.
Stay safe Stay strong
Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 20 04:14 GMT (UK) »
I believe fireworks are available in the UK too. It seems that Australia might be the only place where they are illegal, except maybe sparklers.  :)

Of course licensed fireworks displays are allowed with lots of rules and regs and safety considerations in place.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 20 06:34 GMT (UK) »

$150 for a small box. I had a house fire in the 1980s started by fireworks. Skyrockets were banned shortly after and then tom thumbs.

Carol

Double happies, and those ones that looked like hard jubes, and you threw them on the ground banned as well. Yes, they are expensive, not like in the 70's when you could choose what you wanted and it didn't cost an arm or leg, as long as you had heaps of sparklers, it didn't matter if a Catherine Wheel or Skyrocket was a dud.

There is/was talk of having the controlled fireworks displays only, with the banning of fireworks altogether. But with COVID I have hardly seen any advertisement for them this time.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 November 20 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I haven't seen advertising for them either. But out shopping today they were everywhere. There is even a shipping container up the road from me selling fireworks.
You are right Kiwihalfpint with those that are banned I just could not think of them. It was a skyrocket that caused our fire. Out for dinner and come home to find your house was on fire.
Carol

and many more.