Author Topic: Shipping information about 1859-1863 to Australia  (Read 708 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping information about 1859-1863 to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 November 20 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I had understood that Rev Angus MACDONALD  was  Presbyterian... Church of Scotland.

As mentioned earlier married in the manse Church of England

On death cert the minister who did service at the funeral was Catholic.

Thanks for your thoughts re Cassey. I'll explore more.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 November 20 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I see you have been online very recently.

I have been looking at the 1864 witness named as Elizabeth Macdonald, to try to confirm your thoughts that she may be the wife of the CofE minister.   I find that the following live link that leads through to the lists  of CofE ministers in Australia is very useful.  http://anglicanhistory.org/aus/cci/ .  There is no listing for Aug Macdonald, nor an Angus Macdonald, nor as Mcdonald.

But, that led me to both the Vic BDM index and to Trove newspapers, including the Hamilton Spectator.
At Vic BDMs index there’s a number for births with parents as Elizabeth COGHILL and Angus MCDONALD and MACDONALD, babies born Hamilton, in the 1860s.  – to me that confirms it is likely that  where an Elizabeth Macdonald was recorded as a witness to a marriage in Hamilton conducted by Rev Macdonald that she could well be his wife.   

So I continued to search for Rev Macdonald and my long held understanding that he was a Presbyterian minister. 

I have found him via Trove.  He was the Hamilton Presbyterian minister, and he was well regarded, and in 1868 he met a tragic accident leaving his widow, Elizabeth to raise their young family. Here is an obituary
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/194476231 Hamilton Spectator, 25 March 1868.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline aussie researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 November 20 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, majm,

So interesting to think he married them in the C of E manse.
Not that it is a problem, he might have been the only Minister available at the time.

AR

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 November 20 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Somewhere on the form recording the ceremony, the Reverend would have been required to note what denomination's 'rites' or 'forms' of ceremony he used....  It may well be that various denominations conducted services in the CofE manse.... perhaps there was a large function room used for religious and/or secular functions... but just because the locality for the ceremony was a manse, than does not actually mean it was a Church of England ceremony.   Many denominations refer to the residence of their clergy as 'the manse' ... 

ADD ... I still have not found a possible Agnes DOYLE named on passenger lists into any British Colony in Australasia 1859-1863 ...  If she travelled under that name, perhaps she was steerage, and as such, may have only been a 'number' rather than a name on the paperwork.

JM

Offline aussie researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 November 20 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again,
I've not found Agnes Doyle arriving either.
She got here but when remains a mystery.
Not to worry we cant always find peoples passage out to Australia.
Thanks for your help.