Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 7th November  (Read 486 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 7th November
« on: Saturday 07 November 20 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thick fog this morning and despite the Met Office forecasting a lovely sunny afternoon it never cleared all day. On the basis that the afternoon would be better I got stuck into some cleaning. Put some washing in, had to hang it to dry inside. All my summer clothes were still in the wardrobe and drawers, although I haven't had the opportunity to wear most of them. Took everything out of the drawers to sort out because it takes me ages to find tops or jumpers that are suitable to wear now. Stacked the summer ones and put them in the spare bedroom until I have chance to store them properly. I have far too many clothes.

Brought some tins inside that I'd been storing in the garage since my last grocery delivery. Had some lunch then went out for a walk, it was cold out and strange walking around in the fog but I could see far enough ahead. Thought it was going to start clearing at one point but it didn't happen.

Came home and did some more things around the house and made some more changes to my Tesco order for tomorrow. Put the TV on a bit earlier, it was so gloomy outside. Had taken some piri piri chicken out of the freezer for tea, I'd coated it in the seasoning and frozen it with sliced peppers and cherry tomatoes so that I just needed to add a bit of oil and roast it. Did a jacket potato, peas, sweetcorn and the last of the mushrooms to go with it. And a glass of chenin blanc. More fireworks going off tonight, this is the fourth day in a row and that's apart from the random ones that have been going off for a fortnight.

Nothing thrilling about today but actually I can't remember the last time I did anything thrilling. Managed to keep myself occupied all day anyway, it was okay.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 7th November
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 November 20 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - I think one would call it a productive day! I too need to sort out my summer clothing... most of which I’ve not worn at all this year... usually I’d be washing it all and putting it away. I used to keep all my summer stuff in a wardrobe in the spare room ( now the boys ) but when we decorated it we got rid of the wardrobe so it’s all in one place now .. I’ve still got all my work suits, coats and jackets in the other spare room wardrobe... not sure why I’ve kept suits... never going to wear them again!

Today was glorious sunshine, chilly to start but bright and uplifting...
After breakfast we watched rugby match between NZ and Oz... were suckers for rugby!
Decided we’d go for a walk... too wet to go over the fields so did village walk that takes about an hour... when we got right to the bottom of the village and on our return on what we call the loop road we came to the last house before joining the main village road when we were met with a lot of barking and  growling by two Bull terriers.... they were very aggressive and I felt quite unnerved to add to that they were able to get out through the mesh fencing onto the grass verge and everytime we went to move on they came further our growling like mad... not wishing antagonise them further and be torn to shreds we went back the way we’d come... further along we met some friends also out for a walk and mentioned the dogs to them... they too have found them intimidating and often retreated. They said they’d heard others had found the same. The owners were obviously not in otherwise I’m sure they’d have come out to see why they were barking...
O.H and our friend have decided to write to the parish council requesting them to do something about the situation before someone gets seriously hurt...
once home we had some lunch and I finished amending my shopping order for Monday... I still felt quite shaken by the dogs behaviour...
I went to do some sewing to calm my nerves whilst OH composed his letter...
Got on quite well with the 🌈tops and stopped about 6.30... listened to the radio whilst  sewing to hear the result of the US elections... what a palaver.... but it would appear that Biden has won!
OH cooked dinner we had steak, chips, vegs, beautiful steak cut like butter...
We were still talking about the dogs.... new people in the house... well last year but dogs apparently newish... certainly not there during the summer when we walked that way..
Watched some tv...nothing inspiring...
Hope others have had nice weather to enjoy today

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 20 08:26 GMT (UK) »
You are marvellous Roobarb, always so industrious. I quite often wear summer t shirts as an extra layer in winter, so not much point in storing them away. I stack stuff when I put it away after ironing, so I know which pile to look through.  ;)
Caroline, I would have been scared witless by the dogs. Good job you are alerting the Parish Council, but perhaps it is the police you should be informing. Also, ask all your friends to keep a diary of days when the dogs have been loose to intimidate them, as I am sure you will need to produce dates before there will be any action. 
DIARY: A very grey morning made sunny by a brief chat with my youngest granddaughter in Oz. She immediately requested a tour of my dollshouse, and then took me into the garden to see the chickens. When she called them they all came running across the grass to her, hoping for food I assume.  In passing she did remember to show me that the tree decorations I sent are currently hanging off the light fitting.
During the morning H and I went out for a walk through side streets around the outside of town, to the far end of the beach, and then return along the Esplanade.  A very small blonde child all dressed in pink came towards me on her pink tricycle, and I was charmed to hear her singing away to herself.  I swear she was simply entertaining herself, and not performing for effect.
During the afternoon I felt somewhat depressed, so I decided to do a fiendish sudoku, which certainly ate up some time, and concentrated my mind.
At last, the BBC reported a definitive winner in the US election, and I feel some trepidation at what the next 2 months will hold for the globe while the outgoing president still holds the power.
I sent a message to some US cousins and friends to assess reaction. Most are still holding their breath hoping, but are very cautious about the result as declared yesterday. One goes as far as to say Pennsylvania is well known for cheating!  :-\
My fairy lights came on at dusk, and I feel very grateful such a small thing can give me pleasure.
We are embroiled in a compelling Danish TV series titled "DNA", but I can't say it is entertaining!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 20 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, that sounds like you had a productive day.  We had some sunshine in our area through the day but when I came home from work late on it was getting a bit misty.  When I got to Newcastle last night, I noticed that some of the overhead Christmas lights have been put up. The ones at the top of the street record 'Northumberland Street'. These are not switched on yet.  No homeless about at night again so I can only think they must have to go into accommodation again.  The bus station was generally quiet with only a few waiting about for buses.  When I got hime I noticed that there are practically no leaves left now on the tree outside my house.  I was so tired last night so decided to wait to post until today.

Caroline, I am glad you and your friend are going to write to the council about these dogs.  That's sounds like a pretty scary experience and I think that this situation sounds like an accident just waiting to happen.  If someone does get hurt one of these days, it might be that the dogs will be put down.  I hope the council will make these people be more responsible about their dogs.  Someone could get seriously hurt or even killed by vicious dogs on the loose and I also think it would be sad to think that these aggressive dogs might lose their lives too if the owners don't contain them properly.
I am glad your sewing helped calm you after such a hair raising experience. 😱
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner