Author Topic: hijacked or helpful?  (Read 614 times)

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
hijacked or helpful?
« on: Saturday 27 August 05 04:41 BST (UK) »
my favoured home page is,it seems,regularly taken over by m.s.n.I want the page I request,not this mess of intermingled this,that and the other.
Does this happen because of myn default settings or down time by requested site?
 All advice gratefully received.
                                Goggy.

Offline avj

• RootsChat Member
  • Patience my ****, I'm going to press something...
    • View Profile
Re: hijacked or helpful?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 05 08:24 BST (UK) »
You should be able to set your preferred home page in the default settings and have it stay that way.

If MSN is taking over then some bit of Microsoft is changing your settings for you..(how nice of them..!)

Do you have something like the MSN toolbar installed? Or MSN Messenger, which seems to be a prime source of grief judging by emails I've seen here.

If you have, check to see if they have a setting somewhere that allows it to set MSN as the default homepage.

Adrian
Jordin, Cooper, Hobbs, Hardwick, Crotch, Carver, Taylor

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 05 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, maybe you just recently installed MSN messenger or something else from MSN and mistakenly checked the button which said "make MSN my homepage" or sometimes I think they say it the otherway around - MSN will become your home page UNLESS you check this button because people miss it and get stuck with what they give you, as you seem to have done.

Just get whatever page you want to be your home page on you screen and then follow this, along the top line where it says File, Edit, View etc.
TOOLS
INTERNET OPTIONS (probably the choice at the bottom of the list)
the "General" tab should be on the top giving the url of the page you have on the screen, if it's the right one choose the button USE CURRENT. 

You should now have your favourite one back again as homepage.

Hope this helps
Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 05 12:24 BST (UK) »
Mary,Adrian,thank's for the welcome advice.The only thing installed lately was a security update ex Microsoft! Some security!!Even told me today I had no in mail,got back to 'my' homepage and found 9 waiting my attention.
Foul up somewhere,and himself has'nt changed anything.
Will check again first thing manana.
         Thank's again,Goggy.