Author Topic: Marriage details  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage details
« Reply #27 on: Friday 04 December 20 19:25 GMT (UK) »
The birth places all tie up for children and first wife, only thing is the eldest son David is not is not on 1871 census, would have been 14 - died maybe? Any advice would be helpful, thanks again.

Keep in mind that a census recorded only people who were in the dwelling at midnight on census night or who were absent only because they were working on night-shift and would be returning to the dwelling when their shift ended. A census is not a record of who normally lived in a household. It's like a snapshot of a household on 1 day in 10 years. David may have been working away or visiting relatives or friends.
When a person was a servant "living in" or a boarder the head of household sometimes didn't write names or other information accurately on the census form.   
 The eldest girl, aged 9, in one of my families was missing from a census. I eventually found her, spending Easter holidays at her grandfather's farm in Ireland. Her English surname and her shortened first name were written phonetically on the Irish census form; the initial letter of her surname was R instead of W.  Her GF couldn't write and his first language was Irish. Another girl from a large family was absent from her father's household on 2 consecutive censuses. She was at her grandparent's home in the same street on both occasions. Her youngest sister and her stepmother were visiting her married sister for a later census.
I have Jones and Davies ancestors but haven't traced them back to Wales.   
Cowban

Offline rob749

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 December 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
You were all so useful last time, for which I am really grateful, wondering if you could solve this small mystery. Still trying to trace Grandfather John Owen Jones birth details, I came across this (see attached). It's a WW1 Dependants pension document for his son Harry OK Jones who obviously died towards the end of the war. I have all those details, burial place, sign up documents etc.

The strange part is his father is listed on the Pension document as Richard John Owen Jones, I have been looking for birth records for John Owen Jones, because on all the census documents, marriage certificate etc is how he has listed there. All the addresses on the document tie up (9 Windsor Arcade is where I was brought up) and  the original address North St, Port Talbot is on the 1910 Census. Thats the first anomaly, the second is his wife's name has been crossed out and 'deceased' written in and the new address written in at the same time. I'm wondering was this added at a much later date than 1918 to transfer the Pension maybe.

After 'Father' written in the relationship line I wanted to know if you think that is a date (5/10/38). Also in red ink on the right of the document in the upside down picture (couldn't get it in on original as it was chopped, so rotated to see it), if that is a date 17/10/38 maybe as well??

Just thinking that would help in pinpointing death date of my grandmother, as I've looked all around 1914-18 and nothing found that ties up. Still can't find any birth records of (Richard) John Owen Jones around 1867 in Cenarth, Cardiganshire though.  :(

Sorry its all a bit complicated, hope someone's got the patience to plough through it! Thanks in anticipation.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 December 20 20:05 GMT (UK) »
you may be better asking about the pension documents on the Armed Forces Board as thye have more knowledge

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/armed-forces/

The nearest match for John's birth reg looks to be
John Jones june qtr 1867 Newcastle in Emlyn vol 11b pg 25 mmn Evans
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline rob749

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Osprey, I'll try that on the Armed Forces board. Re John Jones, I thought that was the birth Registration too, but when I got it, nothing matched, birthplace, parents names etc. So 7 quid down the drain ! Oh well, it was worth a try, at least I can discount it now.

It's the Richard thing now, it's making me doubt all the earlier pre 1901 information, even the marriage certificate details, although I'm 90% sure on that.

I'd have thought even if he dropped the name Richard in later life for some reason, I would have seen it on the Marriage certificate or the earlier census' when he was a child. Can't find a Richard in the family at all, because i notice they used to name children in a lot of cases after the parents. Oh well, the later stuff is definitely right. I'll just keep digging and see what comes up. Thanks again.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
well, he could be

Richard Jones march qtr 1867 Newcastle in Emlyn vol 11b pg 27 mmn Evans

although there is a Richard Jones of the right age in the area with father Evan.

You could try the local registrars instead of the GRO and ask them only to issue the cert if the father is Henry when lockdown is over.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01q5g/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb