Author Topic: John McRitchie 1837 - 1925  (Read 1039 times)

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McRitchie 1837 - 1925
« on: Friday 13 November 20 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Greetings...

I am making one last effort to find out more about my great grandfather, John McRitchie. He gave his birthdate as 03 May 1837, in Scotland. He also stated that he emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada in 1840. I was able to pick him up on Canadian censuses starting in 1871 and following on most censuses through 1921 (from these I got date & place of birth). He died in Fernie, BC 06 Nov 1925.

In 1995, it seems, I narrowed birthplace down to Uig, Ross & Cromarty, and also found info that suggested his father's name was Malcolm. IGI suggested his mother's name was Cursty MacDonald and he had a sister Margaret. How good this information is, I don't know - it seems I never was able to verify it. In trying to retrace my research steps of 25-26 years ago I find that a minor stroke and the beginnings of dementia lead to dead ends and frustration.

I'd be content to pass what I have on to the next generation, but I did want to get past this immigrant generation block.

Grateful for any information or advice.

Blessings,
Brian

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: John McRitchie 1837 - 1925
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 November 20 23:03 GMT (UK) »
If he died in BC, his death certificate should be available, and it should tell you the names of his parents. The index at FamilySearch says that the certificate gives his DoB as 20 March 1838 and his parents' names as Malcolm McRitchie and Christina McDonald.

FS also lists several siblings
Mary, born 1830
Ann, born 1832
Donald, born 1833
Catherine, born 1843
though some of that information is from the 'community contributed' IGI so is definitely not to be trusted. In particular, if John says he emigrated in 1840, aged 2, how could he have a sister born in Scotland, three years later?

There is a baptism of Angus MacRichie, son of Malcolm MacRichie and Cursty Macdonald, on 2 January 1840 in Uig, Ross and Cromarty.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 November 20 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian...

Yes, I had forgotten the death cert: parents Malcolm Ritchie & Christina McDonald according to my great uncle. Also dob 20 Mar 1838 (which is different from what appears on the census).

I should go back over the census and see if Malcolm & Christina appear.

Brian

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 November 20 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I see only one fit on the 1841 census and Malcolm isn’t with them:

089/ 4/ 5 Uig Ross and Cromarty

Christian 75
Christian 30
Mary 10
Ann 8
Donald 5
John 3
Angus 1

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 November 20 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 November 20 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Everything else fits - I have to think the family emigrated to Nova Scotia several years later than my great grandad believed. If 1843, he still would have been only 5, so could have been mistaken.

In 1841, Christina (Christian) is 30; could the 75 year-old 'Christian' possibly have been her mother, I wonder?

Brian

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 November 20 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jamjar...

That almost has to be John's brothers, Donald & Angus. I've wondered for decades if kin were left behind when John & Sarah moved to BC. Now I have even more to search for.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 November 20 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Jamjar, Malcolm, his wife & family do appear together in Carnish, Uig, in 1841! Malcolm, 40, is a small tenant.Christian,is 30,Mary, 10,Ann,8,Donald,5,John,3,Angus,1. this is from Freecen. However I don't see 75 year old Christian there.* Correction, I've found her living alone about 5 households away from Malcolm!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 November 20 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Fist, thanks for this. I'm supposing that 75 year old Christian isn't necessarily related to Malcolm's family?

I have found Malcolm on the 1871 & 1881 Canadian censuses of Little Narrows, Victoria County, Nova Scotia. He is 65 & 76, respectively, a widower and a farmer. Son Angus died at Little Narrows in 1912 (vital stats). So far not much luck finding Donald & Angus on the census or marriages for the 3 girls.

Brian