Author Topic: CRAIGEN - did mother and son go to Oz from NZ?  (Read 304 times)

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CRAIGEN - did mother and son go to Oz from NZ?
« on: Monday 16 November 20 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

First time posting in the Australia forum.

I have been tracking a mother and son around NZ and last sighting of them is in a 1995 NZ electoral roll. The mother is not found in the NZ death index, suggesting she is either still alive  :o , or more likely died overseas. There is a suggestion the son died in QLD ca 2015 but this is unconfirmed.

Mother: Joan Gertrude CRAIGEN nee BROAD. Born 1912 in NZ. Married Kenneth Edwin CRAIGEN in UK in 1947. Kenneth died 1989 in NZ.
Son: R. K. CRAIGEN b.1953 in UK.

For all of his life in NZ, the son lived with his mother. If he went to Australia his mum most likely went with him.

I am not familiar at all with researching Australian records so would appreciate some suggestions or help with determining whether this wee family ended up across the ditch. My apologies if my request breaches any Australian privacy laws.

Cheers,
Sheryn

BELL - Crumlin / Glenavy / New Zealand
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: CRAIGEN - did mother and son go to Oz from NZ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 20 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

:) You have both mother and son on NZ electoral roll for 1995. 

:) The son was born 1953,  and you have identified him by name in your opening post. 

:) You don't know if the son is no longer living, and someone suggests he died in Qld in 2015.

:) His name is not currently listed at the Ryerson index of newspaper classifieds of funerals/deaths.

:) Qld bdm online index restricts its display of deaths in a similar way to the NZ bdm online display... so it does not include displaying  non historic deaths that occurred within recent times.

RChat has a no living names policy, so you may need to remove the given  names of the 1953 born chap.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 November 20 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
I have amended my post.
Are initials OK?

Also is it OK to still be seeking the mother? She is most likely deceased, would be 108 if alive today?

PS thank you for mentioning the Ryerson index. Very helpful  :)
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 November 20 20:10 GMT (UK) »
 :) from Ryerson index, a Joan Gertrude CRAIGEN died January 1997, Qld.  You could consider asking by email to Qld State Library, for  look up of the notice in the Gold Coast  Bulletin 16 Jan 1997.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 20 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you majm.

I shall give the library a crack.
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand