Author Topic: Beginner looking for some help for my Fraser Ancestors  (Read 2534 times)

Offline HannahB92

• RootsChat Extra
  • https://literaturetravelhistory.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Beginner looking for some help for my Fraser Ancestors
« on: Wednesday 18 November 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am hoping that you all may be able to help me. I am a beginner and have had wonderful help from the forum before so i thought i would ask for help again. When researching my mother's family i have come across some Scottish heritage that i am not able to find complete information for and unfortunately a lot of them have the same name! Here is what i have so far:

My 2nd great-grandfather, Walter Gibson Fraser, was born in Glasgow on 22nd April 1864.
He married Ellen Mary Frizzell sometime in Ireland in 1891.
They had i believe 7 children? (Thomas, Mary Hamilton, Walter G, Alexander Frizzell, Henry, Annie and Norman) - i have not been able to find any complete records confirming the children and only have census records to go from.
Mary Hamilton is my Great Grandmother and was actually born in Ireland. I had thought she was Irish but her family all originate from Scotland.
I believe Thomas Fraser may have gone into the army and died there in 1915 but have no records to confirm it is the same Thomas Fraser.
Walter may have died in Belfast but i cannot trace a death certificate for him.

Walter's father was William Fraser who was born sometime around 1841 in Wigtownshire? (again, cannot find a definitive record to confirm date of birth)
He married Mary Hamilton on 2 Feb 1864. She must have already been pregnant at this time as Walter Gibson was born in April of 1864.
It looks like William & Mary had 6 children? (Walter Gibson (man above), Mary Jane Hamilton, Marjory Hamilton, Margaret, Jessie and William)
I cannot find a definitive date of death for him.

William's father was also a William Fraser and was born sometime around 1815 in Dundee. I have no records and can only find him on later census with estimated year of birth.
He had maybe 6 children with a woman named Janet (maybe Jennet?) McDowall but i cannot find a marriage certificate or parish record so this may not be accurate as i took this from census records. Children named as follows: Helen, Jessie Logan, William, Alexander, Archibald and Isabella.
I have no date of death for him either and cannot find any record of his birth to find his parents.

If anyone can fill in any gaps or point me in the right direction i would be most grateful. It is very confusing with so many William Frasers! I am very eager to find out about my Scottish Heritage and possible Clan. My mother had this gorgeous woollen blanket tartan since she was married at 19 and it was a gift from my Grandfather who told my mother it was the family tartan colours and i now know it must be from the Fraser family.

Sorry if any of this seems confusing by the way!

Brick, Walmsley, Roscoe, Colgan, Fraser, Frizzell

My website: https://literaturetravelhistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner looking for some help for my Fraser Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Walter may have died in Belfast but i cannot trace a death certificate for him.

There is this on find a grave

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/183469658/walter-fraser

And searching here. https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/  for the death reg Gives just 1 result. I haven’t registered to look more closely.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the 1864 marriage certificate for William and Mary Hamilton?
What are all the details on this record?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Fraser may have gone into the army and died there in 1915 but have no records to confirm it is the same Thomas Fraser.

Ancestry has a record on Fold3 that has Walter Gibson Fraser as Thomas’s father. Indexed thus:

Thomas Arthur Fraser
Record Type:   Card
Death Date:   25 Sep 1915
Service Number:   7750
Corps, Regiment or Unit:   Scottish Rifles Cameronians
Title:   WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description:   Other Ranks Died Fraser J-Freeman E
Reference Number:   13/D/9754
Next of Kin:   
Name   Relation to Soldier
Thomas Arthur Fraser   
Walter Gibson Fraser.  Father

Offline HannahB92

• RootsChat Extra
  • https://literaturetravelhistory.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neale1961,

I did not find this census but the names and ages seem to match up to the details that I have. Not sure why he would be classed as absent, I am assuming he was living elsewhere when the census was done. Thanks so much for posting that for me!

Mckha489,

I saw this on findagrave also and assumed it could be him but there where no details to confirm it and there seem to be a lot of Frasers haha.

Neal1961,

I do not have the marriage certificate for William and Mary Hamilton, i just have a basic transcript which lists the place as: Tradeston,Glasgow,Lanark,Scotland

Mckha489,

Thanks so much for the info about Thomas! This must be him as the father name is an exact match!

Thanks so much everyone, this is great so far thanks
Brick, Walmsley, Roscoe, Colgan, Fraser, Frizzell

My website: https://literaturetravelhistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:36 GMT (UK) »
You need to register on Scotlands People, purchase some credits, and start to collect your family information.
Start with William’s 1864 marriage in Tradeston
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Here’s Walter & Ellen’s marriage in 1891 in Belfast:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1891/10681/5892782.pdf

I see he was a riveter. The big shipbuilders like Harland & Wolff had yards in places like Glasgow, Belfast, Liverpool & Southampton and you often see folk from one location working in another, presumably because of local shortages. So that’s possibly what took him to Belfast.

I haven’t checked them individually but I see some births in Belfast as follows:

Mary 17.9.1892
Alexander 4.2.1894 (presumably died as name re-used)
Walter 6.4.1896
John 25.1.1898
Alexander 13.3.1900.

You can use the GRONI site to search for others. Here’s the first Alexander:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1894/02275/1854704.pdf

Walter Fraser is in grave I3 61 in the City Cemetery. Belfast. Also buried there are Alexander died 23.10.1896, Ellen Mary 7th May 1923, John Frizzell Fraser 21.11.1907 & John Frazer 26.5.1900.
Elwyn

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:42 GMT (UK) »
saw this on findagrave also and assumed it could be him but there where no details to confirm it and there seem to be a lot of Frasers haha.

19 October 1945 - Belfast Telegraph

The family of the late Walter G Fraser desire to thank etc.....

Address is 14 Ravenscroft Street