Author Topic: Alexander Smith 1873-1962.  (Read 734 times)

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Smith 1873-1962.
« on: Friday 20 November 20 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks just received the attached cert. It is attributed to my maternal g/father above named. He served with the Royal Scots, 13th. btn. Throughout the war. So I am confused by the Special Constable issue Is there somewhere I can glean further info on this certificate. Thank you.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Smith 1873-1962.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 November 20 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Two thoughts

Nothing other than Alexander Smith on the cert - where did you get it from and how do you know it refers to your ancestor & not to another Alexander Smith?

Same question in relation to the Royal Scots service
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 November 20 19:37 GMT (UK) »
How can you tell this is for your Alexander Smith?
Is there any accompanying paperwork with clues such as age, address, wife etc?

Have you got his service records which should help?

I know quite a few people who were in the army (although more recently) with different occupations, one of which was a Policeman another a Priest.

Annie

Crossed posts while I was typing...I see you're wondering the same Carole  ;)

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 November 20 19:40 GMT (UK) »
What paperwork do you have showing your grandfather serving in WW1? Medal Roll index card? pension record? Service record? What is his regiment number(s)?
Can't help with the Special Constable certificate but I wonder where he was actually sworn in? The local magistrates court or the National Records of Scotland may know or have some information on where to look for any records that may still exist.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 November 20 19:56 GMT (UK) »
It's a pity it's vague on info. as there's no shortage of Alexander Smith' born in Stirling

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 November 20 21:47 GMT (UK) »
He says his G Grandfather was with the Royals Scot's throughout the war and he is questioning why he had the Special Constable Certificate dated 1914-1918.

In other words what does this paper mean?

Well it normally comes with a medal and there were issued to those who served three years and volunteered with the Constabulary for a length of time or a number of police duties.  The infamous token of our thanks.  I think they still do this in larger centres although I'm a male so probable wrong.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 November 20 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks, first of a thank you for taking the time to reply plus an apology for lack of information. I suppose in this long long trail dealing with our forebears, there are many queries. sometimes the info we have to hand turns out to be incorrect. To answer the questions you posed. The source of the certificate is a cousin in Australia, who, much to my envy has the medals of our grandpa, Alex. smith He has previously supplied me with pictures of him and other family members. The info re Alex. Smith and his service, I gleaned the info from a book listing those who returned from WW1 to Denny, his name and with whom he served, i.e 13th. btn. Royal Scots was contained in the book. It is not to hand just now. I don`t believe his service records are extant. I do have his service no but that is lost at present. all packed up hoping to move. Again thanks.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 November 20 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Are you saying the cousin in Australia has your grandfather's WW1 service medals. If so, and he has them close to hand the regiment number will be engraved around the edge, so an email to him may help us help you.  :)

It's a pity it's vague on info. as there's no shortage of Alexander Smith' born in Stirling
Annie

So true Annie