Author Topic: Searching for Lauchlan Cameron  (Read 1072 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Lauchlan Cameron
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 November 20 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Scotlandspeople is not really expensive if you want to back up your research or corroborate it with original records which can ONLY be found there. All other sources are transcriptions and often contain errors.

To download a baptism etc it will cost you the princely sum of £1.50 barely the price of a cup of tea nowadays. 

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 November 20 19:43 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate your taking the time to send me this extremely informative link.  I heartedly agree that ScotlandsPeople with it's original documents is the best source, no doubt, for my research.  I'm spoiled by U S  sites which for the most part are free, with the exception of Ancestry, which requires a subscription.  However, the costs for ScotlandsPeople are pretty hefty.
Just wait until you need certificates from England and Wales, New Zealand and most parts of Australia. Then you will really find out what expensive means.

And as for the USA, there seem to be some states that won't allow you to buy a certificate at all unless you can prove, without it, that you are a close enough relative to be allowed to see it. I think Saskatchewan in Canada is similar, but it would be good to be wrong about that.

Hats off to Ireland for making certificates available free online, but unfortunately their certificates, especially death certificates, are much less informative than Scottish ones.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sandy Run Trail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 November 20 20:10 GMT (UK) »
dowdstree

A great point once I become familiar with the process.

thanks

Sandy Run Trail
CAMERON - Falkirk, Dunblane, Kilmadock;           McISAAC - Buchany, Kilmadock, Craighish;         BAILLIE - Shotts;                                             
DOWNS - Moffet Hills, Cumbernaud;                       REID - Carron, Falkirk;

JOHNSTON/JONSTONE - Gilcrux, Dearham;

JONES -Dearham, Wicklow;

Offline Sandy Run Trail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 November 20 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian

Good point.  So far, my lines don't extend to other than the UK, Wales being the exception.  In the States, I haven't found that stumbling block yet.

Sandy Run Trail
CAMERON - Falkirk, Dunblane, Kilmadock;           McISAAC - Buchany, Kilmadock, Craighish;         BAILLIE - Shotts;                                             
DOWNS - Moffet Hills, Cumbernaud;                       REID - Carron, Falkirk;

JOHNSTON/JONSTONE - Gilcrux, Dearham;

JONES -Dearham, Wicklow;