Author Topic: Book lookup: Incorp. of Tailors in Glasgow  (Read 1813 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Book lookup: Incorp. of Tailors in Glasgow
« on: Wednesday 25 November 20 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has a copy of this book or has access to it to do a lookup? I have baptismal/burial records naming the father as Alexander Drummond, tailor in Glasgow in the 1760's and was hoping for a listing for him.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Book lookup: Incorp. of Tailors in Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 09:34 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked up the two volumes of the roll of burgesses and guild brethren of Glasgow, and there are no Alexander Drummonds listed who are tailors.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Was there a portion/percentage of tailors, gardeners, weavers, etc. etc. who worked as such and were recorded in BMD's but not members of the Trades House or a Guild?  Or was it "illegal" to do so, in 18th century Glasgow?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 15:56 GMT (UK) »
He was maybe not a master tailor, but a journeyman working for someone else.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
OK. Do you think there would be record of such a person in the actual "Rolls" of the Tailors held at the Mitchell Library or the Trades House itself? 

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I am prepared to be corrected, but I doubt it. The people who compiled the lists of burgesses and guild brethren would have used those rolls. I once looked up the original fleshers' books for someone who had a line of Glasgow butchers in their family, but there was nothing that didn't appear in the published burgess rolls.

You can see the burgess rolls here:

http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/Resources/BurghRecords.aspx

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 November 20 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Not necessary to be a master tailor to join the guild, most tailors would have worked for themselves and could not have practiced their trade without becoming a burgess first & joining the guild. I think women could join the tailors guild & at a later date the majority of members couldn't thread a needle! if the other incorporations are anything to go by. ;D

Skoosh.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 November 20 02:22 GMT (UK) »
I believe that I am at the brick wall and due to a lack of records, cannot identify this Alexander Drummond (who I think is my 5th Great Grandfather). From SP there are 2 children's death registrations in Glasgow: Angus, age 5 and a half in Dec. 1763 and Alexander in 1763 age 2. Both name Alexander the father as a tailor. Two children with these exact names appear in SP baptisms in the Viewfield Associate Church in Stirlingshire: Angus baptized July 1758 and Alexander in 1761. So the ages at death fit exactly. Alexander Drummond, tailor, married Catherine Cameron in Stirling in 1755. There were also two other children baptized in the Viewfield Assoc. Church in Stirling: John in 1756 and Katherine in 1759. ANOTHER child named Jane died in Glasgow in 1767, age 1, daughter of Alexander Drummond, tailor. So, my opinion is that this Drummond family moved from Stirlingshire to Glasgow sometime between 1761 and 1763. Furthermore, there is no OPR baptism for a Jane Drummond circa 1766 so I also assume that the family attended a non conforming church (as they did in Stirling) whose records are lost. Duke Street General Assoc. Congregation at the corner of Duke and Havannah Streets is my guess. So with those church records gone, it explains the missing baptism for Jane in 1766 in Glasgow AND possibly another child between 1763 and 1766 in Glasgow (I would hope that her name was Mary, my 4th Great Grandmother).
There are other postings of mine that tie into this as Mary Drummond married James Umpherston in 1785 in Glasgow. She was noted as the daughter of Alexander Drummond, gardener in Glasgow.  Skoosh suggested to me on another thread that a tailor whose eyesight possibly was failing, may have turned to gardening. Coincidentally,  neither the Alex. Drummond, gardener or the Alex. Drummond, tailor are listed in the Burgess and Guild Brethren online books. I was hoping that there would be a record of him as a tailor stating that he had to give up the trade, so to speak. But that now seems impossible, too.
I have other evidence that the two Alexanders could be one and the same person but it is conjecture at this point.
Q. Without church records to find a 1764/65 Non Conforming Glasgow baptism and trade records to identify a tailor or a gardener, are there any other suggestions/approaches/records that could help me?