Author Topic: Being led a merry dance  (Read 669 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Being led a merry dance
« on: Wednesday 25 November 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for the parents of Patrick McGowan/McGowen/McGown
Born 1813, Cavan, Ireland. He married Margaret Dearin in 1823 Ireland.
This family doesn't stand still for long, living in Lancashire, Massachusetts & Old Monkland, Scotland.
Growing this tree is like pulling teeth!

Would dearly love some help. I have had help from this site before at the very beginning, this truly difficult!
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Being led a merry dance
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Patrick would not have got married aged 10, so either the year of his birth or marriage is not quite right.  However whatever the correct years are, he was evidently born in the early 1800s. A problem that you face is that many parishes in Cavan don’t have any records for that period. Many didn’t start keeping baptism and marriage records till the 1820s or even later. As an example, the RC parish of Annagh has no records before 1845. Consequently there may be no record of his baptism (or of his marriage, if it was in Cavan too). No easy way around that.

Much Irish research comes to a stop around 1800 due to the lack of records.
Elwyn

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Iam more than disappointed, however, I would like to correct the error that I have made, is that possible? Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
......I would like to correct the error that I have made, is that possible?

Within 24 hours you can modify your posts. Just click on the 'Modify' box and change your text.
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo