Author Topic: Help please finding the right John Curtis in Dublin  (Read 411 times)

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please finding the right John Curtis in Dublin
« on: Tuesday 01 December 20 11:50 GMT (UK) »
In the marriage of Thomas Curtis to Margaret Noon in Westminster in 1896, John Curtis is Thomas's father. Thomas was born in 1871 in St Anne's, Westminster. Our family believes John was from Dublin

Through census records Thomas and Margaret had 4 children: Thomas b1887, John b 1891, James b 1894 and Norah b 1896. All born in Westminster. The earliest record of the family I can find is 1891 living in Carnaby Street

John Curtis junior b 1891 was in the Connaught Rangers, enlisting in 1906 #160473. I do not rule out his father (Thomas) and his father (John senior) having a similar Irish military connection. John juniors military record says born Ireland question mark

Any help and advice on how to identify John Curtis senior would be much appreciated

Thank you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please finding the right John Curtis in Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 12:10 GMT (UK) »
In the marriage of Thomas Curtis to Margaret Noon in Westminster in 1896, John Curtis is Thomas's father. Thomas was born in 1871 in St Anne's, Westminster. Our family believes John was from Dublin.
Westminster in England?
What's given for John Curtis' occupation on the marriage of his son Thomas in 1896?
What details are given for John Curtis on son Thomas' 1871 birth certificate? who was Thomas' mother? have you found the marriage of Thomas' parents?
Have you found the Curtis family in 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911 census (and any earlier)? if so, when John Curtis is listed what is shown for age and birthplace?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Marriage Bann for Thomas Curtis & Margaret Noon at St. Martin's in the Fields, Westminister dated 1886 (18 Apr., 25 Apr., 2 May).
Marriage took place there 20 May 1886 (not 1896). Thomas' age given as 22 years (so born c1864 not 1871). Father listed as John Curtis, labourer.

Possible birth for Thomas (1864 Whitechapel district) given mother's maiden name as Routledge but looking for Curtis/Routledge marriage indicates this child's father may not be John so more searching needed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - I have been using the 1891census where the family are living in Carnaby Street. This is in line with what our family think. Only Thomas born at that time.

There are earlier census records but I need to recalibrate with Thomas's new date of birth.

The complete family is in the 1901 and 1911 censuses when Margaret remarries Edward Parry in 1900 after Thomas died in 1896 in Hendon

Thank you

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 13:08 GMT (UK) »
This would more likely be his death, Margaret remarried in Marylebone.

CURTIS, THOMAS
Aged 32 
GRO Reference: 1896  J Quarter in MARYLEBONE  Volume 01A  Page 366

Do you have the death cert?

Debra  :D

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra

Yes I agree, this calibrates with his new birth year - I can see an index not the actual record

Thank you