Author Topic: William Callagan Where did they go?  (Read 488 times)

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Callagan Where did they go?
« on: Sunday 06 December 20 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I need help with a brick wall. I am searching the family of William Callagan b. 1796 Westminister and Mary (Smith - widow, do not know her maiden name) married St George in the East, London in 1823 and their 3 children, William b. 1826, Mary b.1828 & Edward b.1831 (all born in Ireland). I am not sure where about in Ireland they moved to but by 1837 Mary was deceased, (place unknown) and William remarried to Charlotte Smith in East Stonehouse, Devon. They went on to have several children. In the 1841 census, they are under the surname of Kelligan in Stoke Damerel, and the 1851 census as Callagan in Stoke Damerel. William Snr died in 1854. I am a descendant of Mary Callagan. In the 1851 census, it is a little confusing re, Mary Callagan whether it is William's daughter or the wife of William Jnr. I am trying to find out about William Jnr and Edward Callagan as the seem to have gone missing after the 1851 census. Any help about these 2 brothers would be most appreciated.
Hodgson, Sorlie, Millett, Knight, Brown, Smith, Callagan, Rudd, Severn, Braxton, O’Dell, Purcell, Gorman, Finn, Larkings, Larkins, Coleman, Bernhard

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where did they go?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 December 20 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I can see what you mean about Mary S she is listed as daughter and is married and noted as a Seaman's wife. William the entry before was a Seaman, but was he the husband of another Seaman?

Meanwhile, although this does not answer the question yet.

1861 Stoke Damerel Devon
Charlotte Callagan 40 widow (she has not aged in 19 years)
Catharine Smith   66 mother
James Callagan   22
Charles Callayan 19
Charlotte Callayan 12
Emma Callayan   10

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 December 20 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I have just noticed William was unmarried in 1851. However I cannot find a marriage for Mary but I think it is Daughter Mary.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 December 20 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Re William senior, marriage to Charlotte Smith in 1837 says he was a seaman.
BT, so his signature not original
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89Q5-3XVN

Could he have been on the Royal Adelaide (to be found in Plymouth?) :-\
HMS Royal Adelaide allotment numbers, 1837 (when in 1837?)
Folios 199-200: William Callaghan; Ship’s name: HMS Royal Adelaide; Pay book number: SB 101; Rank: Able Seaman; Relation: Wife Charlotte.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C15414426

William Callagan who married Mary Smith, widow, in St George in the East in 1823 marked rather than signed.
How do you know that is the right one?

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 December 20 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Mary Callagan, daughter was a convict and on her death record it has William Callagan & Mary Smith as parents. On convict records, it has William and Charlotte plus her 2 brothers and 3 half siblings.
Hodgson, Sorlie, Millett, Knight, Brown, Smith, Callagan, Rudd, Severn, Braxton, O’Dell, Purcell, Gorman, Finn, Larkings, Larkins, Coleman, Bernhard

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 December 20 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Edward Callaghan four entries on the criminal register Devon

Age 16 + between 1847 & 1849, all for Larceny he was generally imprisoned for a few days and whipped quite a lot.

He was a Painter’s apprentice in 1851, his father was a painter.

Nothing clear after?

Colin

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 December 20 12:49 GMT (UK) »
A marriage at Devonport St Paul, 4 Sep 1859
William Callaghan, 29, Bachelor, Seaman R. N., residence Fort Street, father William Callaghan, Seaman
+
Marth(a) Deacon, 20, Spinster
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-QGZ3-K

The Callagans were in Fort Street in 1861

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Callagan Where did they go?
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information. It gives me something to work with. I noticed there was another marriage in 1864 of Martha (nee Deacon) Smith - widowed  to Thomas Faulkner. Same father, Sampson Deacon. Martha had a daughter Sarah Smith b. 1862. Baptism shows only Martha, not William.  It caught my eye, don't know if it is a coincidence but Mary Callagan (1828) came out as a convict as Mary Smith. Was then wondering if William did the same and changed his last name to Smith even though he married as a Callaghan.  I will keep an open mind to see if anything will link. I have always had brickwalls with this line.