Author Topic: Covid Vaccination  (Read 19014 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Covid Vaccination
« Reply #234 on: Thursday 07 January 21 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Well said viktoria,  our doctors gets 24 hours notice of his share of appointments, how is he supposed to contact his over 80s to advise them turn up at a centre20 miles away with no public transport available and voluntary transport only available if you have a computer to book it.

Mike

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Thursday 07 January 21 17:49 GMT (UK) »
My husband gets so cross at the politicians who constantly refer to ‘kids’ in discussions re education.

Etymology online has "kids" for children going back to at least 1590, and well established by 1812.

I doln't like using a baby goat to describe a child.

Since  James1/VI exchanged his grandchild Sophie for a patch of Germanic land (Kingdom of Hanover), I think "kid" is a lazy corruption of an imported word and derives from the German for child, which is "kind".

.... and if my grandfather's WWI corruption of French had been adopted I would have asked if you "polly vous francy?" (Parlez vous Francais? = Do you speak French?)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Thursday 07 January 21 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Interesting as this is, what does it have to do with the topic of the Covid vaccination?
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Thursday 07 January 21 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Listening to Boris and the other two with him, it is looking more hopeful that all those over 70 (i.e. the first 4 groups) will have received the first dose by the 15th February. Also that it will be within 10 miles of home and most will be from local GP hubs. Interesting as well how much the army are involved.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Thursday 07 January 21 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I see two newspapers taking at face value what one GP has tweeted. Lazy journalism, intended to whip up division.

I agree, Mike.

A doctor has tweeted that 'some local patients have turned down an offer....of getting a covid vaccine'.  No doubt this is true, but he has given no indication how many.

The Mail appears to have turned this into 'Elderly Britons are REFUSING to take Pfizer's Covid vaccine because they would rather 'wait for the English one'.....'
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Thursday 07 January 21 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Reply to Rena #233

I think the (mostly) youngsters who use this kind of language will know exactly what sentiment is being expressed.  Generally I think us oldies can only make guesses.

Changes occur with every generation and often the oldest don't pick them up and run with them.  For example my parents often referred to the 'wireless' (and they didn't mean bluetooth) but I have only ever called it the 'radio'.  Don't know what my children call it - I doubt if they ever listen to it.

Pheno

Prior to the "wireless" there was the "cat's whiskers", which is what my grandfather made and used.  All three models used different technologies and patents, which is why they have different names.

Like you, I have no idea what word my grandsons use, nor what my great grandchildren will use in a few years time when they reach their teenage years - which is when I and most people I know tuned in to the station that played the "in" music of the day.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Thursday 07 January 21 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I see two newspapers taking at face value what one GP has tweeted. Lazy journalism, intended to whip up division.

I agree, Mike.

A doctor has tweeted that 'some local patients have turned down an offer....of getting a covid vaccine'.  No doubt this is true, but he has given no indication how many.

The Mail appears to have turned this into 'Elderly Britons are REFUSING to take Pfizer's Covid vaccine because they would rather 'wait for the English one'.....'

Correct me if I'm wrong.  First Pfizer innoculation then the second one in a fortnight's time.  However, I think there's been some talk of using the Pfizer for the first innoculation then using the other Oxford one for the second vaccination.  The reason this action (might) be taken is that we bought X doses of Pfizer (divide by 2 for two doses per patient) but we could use all those X doses as the first jab, which would double the number of people protected against the virus and then use Oxford as the 2nd booster jab.

I don't think I'd feel secure mixing different vaccines, I'd rather wait and have two doses of the same vaccine.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Thursday 07 January 21 18:07 GMT (UK) »
We have two topics running here! Maybe the language one needs to be split onto a different thread.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Thursday 07 January 21 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Interesting as this is, what does it have to do with the topic of the Covid vaccination?

Apologies - Due to (failed) eye operations, I can't see normal size script.  I have increased the size of the words on my screen and don't usually see the subject heading.

Due to the above, I'm afraid somebody else will have to organise the moderator for deletion or some alternative