Author Topic: Covid Vaccination  (Read 19011 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Covid Vaccination
« Reply #189 on: Thursday 07 January 21 11:17 GMT (UK) »
It is really frightening now , I have kept quite positive and upbeat and am not depressed but sad and worried for my family, one thing seems to  contradict  another .
The whole toll of this can not  be counted in deaths alone, shocking though they are.
People are for example dropping children off at school gates and driving off whether they are key workers or not .
Children have regressed to forgetting how to use cutlery ,some even  back  in nappies!
What does that say about the parenting skills of some people?
It must be hard ,stuck in  with children but we have many of us done it, one child got measles,then another etc pre vaccination days , you just stayed  in away from friends ,quarantine was quite long and with several children it could be quite a while you were your own .
I know the outside world was not as now, but this is no one’s fault ,but the spread is partly due to people being selfish and irresponsible .
So who seems to complain the most.?
Well,admittedly from a limited vantage point ,to me it is the ones who are making things worse.
Hope you all are  and keep ,well.
Viktoria.

None of this is easy but some make it harder for everyone by their sheer selfishness .

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Thursday 07 January 21 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria,

The conditions for school places is much broader, I understand, than the previous lockdown.
It is reported, for example,  that children without access to laptops are eligible - classed as ‘vulnerable’ children.

My relative told me it is very difficult to keep up with the demand for places this time and in their words, ‘what difference is there in having 25 children in my class rather than 30’. It isn’t going to help much in the use of space etc.

It sounds as though it could be lip service to the notion of lockdown/ closing schools and may not have much effect.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Thursday 07 January 21 13:22 GMT (UK) »
The problem is, the government promised thousands of laptops to schools and this didn't happen. Once again the general public are stepping in and offering old laptops, tablets etc to schools. However, as was pointed out on the radio this morning, these have to be properly wiped and tested before being handed out and most schools can't do this. I believe in Wales that every child is given a laptop when they go to Secondary school, so why not in England? Although of course none of that is any good if the house doesn't have broadband, or in the case of some areas,, broadband that is fast enough to cope with downloading what the children (and those working from home) need.

Next week CBBC is broadcasting 3 hours of educational programmes each day for Primary Schools and BBC2 ( I think) is doing the same for Secondary schools, so that may help those without access to the internet.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Thursday 07 January 21 13:35 GMT (UK) »
It was funny as I said to my husband that I thought they should broadcast some educational programmes on the television. Then it was announced. (I must practise my telecommunication skills a bit more  ;) )

I told my 40 something daughter who fondly reminisced about the television being wheeled out of the stock room as they settled to watch ‘How we used to Live’. One of the main characters was ‘Avril’ and my daughter loved the name and the wartime clothes  :)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Thursday 07 January 21 14:00 GMT (UK) »

I told my 40 something daughter who fondly reminisced about the television being wheeled out of the stock room as they settled to watch ‘How we used to Live’. One of the main characters was ‘Avril’ and my daughter loved the name and the wartime clothes  :)

That programme is brilliant, we used it when teaching WW2. There was also a follow up one into the 60s - odd watching that as it covered things I did when I was young!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Thursday 07 January 21 14:30 GMT (UK) »
It was funny as I said to my husband that I thought they should broadcast some educational programmes on the television. Then it was announced.

The BBC did used to have educational programmes.  I remember there used to be French and Spanish lessons.  There was a time when we didn't have a TV and I was most surprised at the latest programme.  There was a Russian language class on TV  and my mother was learning to speak Russian.Unfortunately the only thing that stuck in my mind was Niet and Da,

Sometimes it's like listening to a foreign language on TV theser days, most announcers and discussion leaders and their guests seem to favour only uttering the first syllable of a word and we, the listeners, will either be young enough to know what they're saying or have to fathom it out ourselves.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Thursday 07 January 21 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Diction is terrible, and in children’s programmes they seem really
bad.
Come back Valerie Singleton.
Such mis use that is not even in the English language officially.
What on Earth does “ I would of “ mean?
I would of......I would have !
Some people on TV seem to just slur along ,and  the last time I had my eyes tested a hearing test was also done and all was OK.
So not my hearing.
Viktoria.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Thursday 07 January 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
My husband gets so cross at the politicians who constantly refer to ‘kids’ in discussions re education.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Thursday 07 January 21 15:00 GMT (UK) »
My husband gets so cross at the politicians who constantly refer to ‘kids’ in discussions re education.

It makes them sound like a heard if goats ;D
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.