Author Topic: William Metcalfe  (Read 357 times)

Offline stanner73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Metcalfe
« on: Wednesday 09 December 20 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for help pinning down the correct baptism for one of my ancestors - William Metcalfe.
George Metcalfe was born 1824 Wickhambrook son of William Metcalfe and Maria.
I'm trying to locate William's baptism. He was born ~ 1790 and died 1868 in Wickhambrook
From the 1851 and 1861 census his birth place is listed as Stradishall. If this is correct  a potential baptism for a William Medcalf would be 04/11/1792 son of Thomas and Mary
However from the Suffolk marriage CD it appears from his marriage to Maria Suttle in 1815 in Chedburgh he is listed from Denston.
If this is correct a potential baptism for a William Medcalf would be 18/05/1794 son of Henry and Susan
Does anybody have access to the Chedburgh marriage records to check this, or any clues how to resolve this?
I have also posted on the Suffolk Family History society page so hopefully somebody may be able to shed further light on this conundrum

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Metcalfe
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 December 20 01:54 GMT (UK) »
The fact it has Denston on his marriage entry does not mean that was his birth parish, just that he was living in Denston at the time of the marriage.

Since he states himself on the census that he was born in Stradishall I would go with the baptism there in 1792.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanner73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Metcalfe
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 December 20 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - I'll have another look back at Stradishall