Author Topic: Bains of Rosefarm, Cromarty  (Read 826 times)

Offline alwayssearching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bains of Rosefarm, Cromarty
« on: Wednesday 09 December 20 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information that will help me learn how and why Thomas Middleton Bain (b.1821 Davidston, m.Margaret Campbell Dec13,1850 in Cromarty) eldest son of Donald Bain (b.1793, d.1849 Rosefarm Cromarty) and Christian Urquhart (b.1795, d.1884) left Cromarty for Nova Scotia, with his wife and 2 young children (Daniel b.1851 and Margaret b.1853) in or about 1854.Thomas Middleton Bain was my GGG grandfather. I don't think any of his siblings left Scotland, but I could be wrong.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bains of Rosefarm, Cromarty
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 December 20 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Left 8 siblings behind so its hard to say if they stayed or left you would have to chase down each of them.

They are all on Scotland's People https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ if you don't have an account you can open one and you want to search people select church registers fill in surname only select count and parish Cromarty then his search and sort by parents you will them all under their parents.  These are baptism not births.  If you want to see a record it will cost you 6 credits (price of 2 med Tim's and a fritter) if not you have their births.

Margaret got into a problem after Donald died but with so many children its understandable.
National Records of Scotland
Reference SC24/10/475
Title Robert Morrison, miller, Shoremill, Cromarty vs Widow Christain Urquhart or Bain, Rosefarm, Cromarty: Debt
Dates 1855

By the looks of it a number of people ran into the same problem at Rosefarm.
http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/welcome.aspx  select the search button and type in Rosefarm.

Perhaps they left Scotland for a piece of land they could call their own its hard to say why, but land ownership is expensive in Scotland which is why most went to Canada. Then again maybe they liked snow and the thought of an occasional hurricane or the prospect of been chased by a moose or bear.

Don
 I should add there are a lot of Bain's in NS BMD you should see if some of his siblings found their way as well.
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 December 20 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1841 Census transcription on FreeCEN-
Thomas possibly living with other farm labourers in a bothy , father Donald also noted as a farm labourer , so there would be nothing to pass(landwise) on to Thomas after he died ?
The prospect of owning land in Canada ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline alwayssearching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 December 20 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks DonM and ev! I will follow up on the 1855 lawsuit against widow Christian Urquhart and the reference to others at Rosefarm. I have only been able to find relevant references to Rosefarm in materials concerning the (British)Middleton Family, one of whom was Thomas H. Middleton (b1800), whose family was farming at Rosefarm and Davidston for generations. I think the Donald Bain family lived at both Davidston and later at Rosefarm. Thomas Middleton Bain was born at Davidston and lived in Navity at the time of his 1850 marriage. His daughter Margaret died at sea on the voyage to Canada (1854), according to a gravestone in Pictou, and Thomas and wife went on to have 7 more children in Nova Scotia.