Author Topic: Can you help date this Davies or Jones photo please?  (Read 467 times)

Offline Gary Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you help date this Davies or Jones photo please?
« on: Thursday 10 December 20 17:53 GMT (UK) »
The portrait belongs to my wife's family here in UK, and may show a member of the Davies or Jones family whose roots are in South Wales (Dowlais, Merthyr) and North Wales (Wrexham) areas.  We do not know exactly who the lady is.

The format:  The portrait is a large (11 inches x 14 inches) tintype photograph that has been rather amateurishly embellished with colour at some point.  There are no markings or postage stamps etc. on the reverse and no markings on the frame.

The frame style is consistent with an Eastlake revival frame of a design popular in about 1880, and the reverse of the tintype was packed into the frame using fragments of the New York Herald of 1881.  These facts, plus the popularity of the tintype in America, suggest that the portrait was made in America prior to 1881 and subsequently sent to family Wales.  As tintypes were patented in 1854, we already have a reasonably narrow window in which the the photograph could have been taken (i.e. 1854-1881), but any any help in further refining the date would be most appreciated.

Can you date the style of dress and bonnet?  Can you estimate the woman's age?

Any help gratefully received!

Gary

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help date this Davies or Jones photo please?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 December 20 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary and welcome to RootsChat, my guess would be early 1860s and her age I would guess at 60s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 December 20 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary

That's a very fine photo. I love the expression and agree with Carol about the date. I'm not sure of the age as she seems to have lost some teeth - maybe 50s - 60s - though I see no lines  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gary Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 December 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to both Carol and 'Gadget' for the input.  It sort of confirms my own thoughts about the portrait and will help narrow the search!

Gary

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 December 20 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary...I thought she deserve a freshen up  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 December 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I also did a softer version.
Carol

Offline Gary Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 December 20 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Carol,

Thank you very much - she looks a lot nicer, and the softer version makes her look quite approachable!  Lovely work. Thank you.

Gary