Author Topic: Diary > Friday 18th December  (Read 501 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 18th December
« on: Saturday 19 December 20 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Another one of those nights when I was awake till 4am. I don't know what keeps me awake other than the fact that my brain just keeps churning around when I want it to settle down. Could also hear the rain pounding against the windows and high winds. Had a late start as a result of getting to sleep late.

It was a fine morning but rain forecast in the afternoon so I went out before lunch, also my Tesco order was due between one and two. It's so muddy everywhere, even the path in the woods, so I didn't have a long walk.
Groceries arrived about 1.30, did the usual sanitisation procedures then washed the floors in the kitchen and hallway. Sat down with a cup of tea and rang my friend L, she'd called round yesterday for a doorstep chat while I was out. I hardly go anywhere these days, it was unfortunate that it was very shortly after I'd gone out that she called. Had a good chat, she hasn't yet watched Portrait Artist so I couldn't moan to her about it.

Did some ironing, had chicken in pasta sauce for tea, that was the last portion out of the freezer. My friend A phoned in the evening, good to talk to her too.
It's been quite a humdrum sort of day really, it gets dark so early that I don't feel like I can be getting on with much. Hope it's been a bit more interesting for others.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 18th December
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 December 20 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Will start off todays though not a lot to report I'm afraid.

Dull, and slightly rainy today so nothing to inspire me there.   Yesterday I packed up all the jigsaws and books I have accumulated since March i.e. 5 blacks bags of jigsaws, 8 smaller bags of books.   Had planned to take them today but my 'get up and go' didn't get up with me today and talked myself out of it.   Either tomorrow morning or Monday now.   They are all in the car ready to go.

Have been doing some Christmas wrapping as presents to drop off in the next few days.   Posted my cards 2nd class on Wednesday and heard today that a friend had received hers today which is good going for this time of year.

Lots to do tomorrow and must consequently get up earlier than usual (I'm not a morning person at the best of times).

Continue to stay safe everyone.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 18th December
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 December 20 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Oops - no one had started today when I started my missive but now see that you posted 5 minutes before I did, Roobarb.   Will have to get them 'merged'.

Annette

Have asked moderator to 'merge'.
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 December 20 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I’m well and truly late for this party!......

Roobarb- sorry you were having another poor night.... the brain is a pain in the proverbial if only one could just switch it off life would be much simpler!
Shame you’d missed seeing L but nice to have a chat with her and your other friend...
You have wonderful neighbours, kind of them to provide you with a Christmas meal too..
Hope Saturday is a better one for you..

Annette- sounds like you’ve got a busy day delivering today then!
Hope the twins are still doing well.

Yesterday, as it is now, what did I do..... it’s almost difficult to remember as it must have been unremarkable..... I think the weather was ok... not too sunny I don’t think but not raining... after breakfast I cleared up the shelves of my freezers in readiness for shopping on Saturday.. I was planning to go early to get a turkey and other bits.... after sorting them out, I sorted out the fridges too...
we’d decided to meet up with our daughter and family at a NT garden on 23rd we had both waited until just after midnight to log on and book slots... success, just hope it’s not raining or too windy or cold.... don’t want much do I!!
We had a few messages back and forth...
‘Ive booked somewhere on the 28th nearer to you in case the 23rd turns out not to work’ she says
‘Um.... you do realise that we can’t do that as we’ll be back in our tiers by then and yours is different to ours... says I..
‘ Oh #&%/@* she says
Bless her for trying but it’s the 23rd come hell or high water!
I continued with my tyding up mode and broke down all the cardboard boxes that were filling the bench in the garage and put them in the recycle bin... it’s shameful how many there were but then again better than having to go into shops which I’ve not done!
We had a phone call from friends and a long chat... their son and family live in Berlin where things are also dire..she was saying her son thought they could have restrictions until Easter! He is a teacher.. English as a foreign language so his timetables have dried up and resorting to online teaching and children not at school either....
By this time it’s lunch time ( I’ll let you into a secret... I was still in my dressing gown 😱😱 as the plan had been to do all my jobs then shower!)  so after lunch I had a shower!
I’d found some sweet pasty in the freezer I’d made so I thought I’d use it and have a go at some mince pies.... they’re not my strong point... well pastry isn’t... anyway they turned out ok and were edible!
Dinner was sausages, chips and vegs..
Watched some new series on Netflix.... it was mediocre but watchable... early night as going to be up early in the morning...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 December 20 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Annette, what a lot of jigsaws you've done! Hope you got all the present wrapping done and manged to get up early today. (I sympathise, I'm not a morning person either).

Caroline, glad to hear you've been able to arrange to meet your daughter and family, I'm sure you'll make the best of your day. And perhaps nominate a date in the summer when you can get together properly and make up for all the sacrifices that have been necessary this year. Sounds like things are unfortunately not going too well in Germany either. I'm sure you can be forgiven for being in your dressing gown some people seem to stay in their PJs all day these days.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales