Author Topic: Can anyone help me identify a Royal Navy vessel dispatched to South America,but  (Read 503 times)

Offline Tarfside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me identify a Royal Navy vessel dispatched to South America, but turned round at the Azores, in the period 1929 -1936.
This vessel may or may not have been an Aircraft Carrier, but would at least have carried an aircraft.
My late father, who was in the RAF in that period, told me he was on board a navy ship when it was headed for South America and it was turned round, but there is nothing in his service record to indicate a period with the Fleet Air Arm. As the record is a bit sketchy for some of his service this is not surprising.
Identifying the vessel would at least open the possibility of checking the crew list for the relevant period.
Any ideas? 
Davis (Great Marlow), Whistler (Hurley)
Saunders (Rye Harbour),Corkett(Cheddington), Pinney(Poole),

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me identify a Royal Navy vessel dispatched to South America,but
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Just checking the early history of British Aircraft Carriers.

HMS Hermes was a British aircraft carrier built for the Royal Navy and was the world's first ship to be designed as an aircraft carrier. The ship's construction began during the First World War but not completed until after the end of the war

Finally commissioned in 1924, Hermes served briefly with the Atlantic Fleet before spending the bulk of her career assigned to the Mediterranean Fleet and China. 

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me identify a Royal Navy vessel dispatched to South America,but
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 03:55 GMT (UK) »
looking in the newspapers. 1930 & 1931 so far I see

H.M.S. Courageous, Eagle, Hermes, Ark Royal, Furious and Glorious.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 03:59 GMT (UK) »
the Eagle went all the way to Buenos Ayres to show off in 1931

Portsmouth Evening News 11 March 1931

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 04:01 GMT (UK) »

Portsmouth Evening News 05 August 1931

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Algrass62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 13:45 GMT (UK) »
https://www.naval-history.net/xGW-RNOrganisation1919-39.htm this site lists all Royal Navy ships and their deployments from 1919 to 1939. If the pennent number is known then the ship can be identified.

Hope the helps

Offline Tarfside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your inputs. In particular, I hadn't considered newspapers as a source.
In "Fleet Air Arm Aircraft, Units and Ships 1920 to 1939" Sturtivant lists the possible aircraft carrying ships and their movements but i have been unable to pin down a vessel or group of vessels from that. Of course, if they did not call in to the Azores but simply turned round the record would only show British port to British port.
Now to get into the newspapers...

Tarfside
Davis (Great Marlow), Whistler (Hurley)
Saunders (Rye Harbour),Corkett(Cheddington), Pinney(Poole),