Author Topic: Family Historian 7  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Historian 7
« on: Wednesday 23 December 20 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just been notified that this version is now available.  Has anyone out there taken the update?   :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Historian 7
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 11:48 GMT (UK) »
When I saw the heading, I thought that you might have it.  I think I'll stay with 6 for the moment  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 December 20 01:44 GMT (UK) »
I waited almost 3 months before upgrading from v5 to v6, but only 5 days from v6 to v7. ;D  That said, the much vaunted word processing features don't work with Facts notes as I thought they would but apparently using them with sentence templates has been much requested so there may be a later update.  I've not had any issues upgrading and some of the other new features are very good.  It now remembers the last person you were working on when you closed the program instead of going back to the root person when opened again.  The narrative report window layout is now better.  With source records "generic type", type forward now works instead of having to type it in completely or select from the dropdown, which is a definite improvement over v6.  Similarly, the word processing features work with source/citation record notes so you can change the fonts, size, colours, include web links and tables if you want.  Didn't think it would be that useful but actually its nice to use with Narrative Reports which is my main use of the software other than as a "database".  The source and citation window is now floating which actually I find more useful than previously.

There are other new features but not so far anything else I've used.  For me it was worth the upgrade cost which is higher than previously but I gather that is because of the increased functionality (the new full licence price is also more expensive).

I'm now yet again going back over source records amending them, a rather big task but definitely looks better in narrative reports.  Assuming they do expand the use of word processing features with fact notes, so I can use bold in the sentence templates, then I'll be even happier. :D

Check out the website and also the forum as there is a lot of discussion since it was released.  Some people have had issues but I think the vast majority have not. 

The ancestral sources free add-on has also been updated and now doesn't take the earth to reload my project file each time it's saved in Family Historian. I only use it to enter bare census data and then expand in Family Historian itself but it used to take forever to reload one of my projects which has 30k people.  I'd been told that it was because I was only using a SATA drive and surely everyone is using SSDs now. ::)  Well when I upgraded to an SSD it was just as slow but this new version appears to have been changed and its now much faster reloading that file. Still a little delay but nothing like it was so I'm afraid it was the program not my hardware. ::)

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend it but again depends whether you want the new features or not.  I was really interested in the word processing features, albeit they don't do completely what I thought they were going to do ... or not yet anyway.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 January 21 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Not that anyone seems to be interested in my previous post .... may as well have not bothered taking the time to write it. ::)

However, if anyone is thinking of upgrading to v7 but uses the narrative reports and exports to pdf, please be aware that there are issues with the export of them to pdf files which you may want to take a look at on the FHUG Forum prior to purchasing.  Hopefully Calico Pie will resolve the issue sooner than later. :(  Overall I think it is worth the upgrade, or definitely will be if CP fix the pdf issue but I use narrative reports extensively so it is a bit of a nuisance.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 January 21 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I’ve not responded. Life got a little hectic.  As you advised I will poke around the forum.

Nic

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 January 21 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Not that anyone seems to be interested in my previous post .... may as well have not bothered taking the time to write it. ::)

However, if anyone is thinking of upgrading to v7 but uses the narrative reports and exports to pdf, please be aware that there are issues with the export of them to pdf files which you may want to take a look at on the FHUG Forum prior to purchasing.  Hopefully Calico Pie will resolve the issue sooner than later. :(  Overall I think it is worth the upgrade, or definitely will be if CP fix the pdf issue but I use narrative reports extensively so it is a bit of a nuisance.

No need to feel hard done by.

Not everyone uses FH.

I have FH but do not use it since I prefer Roots Magic.