Author Topic: James Rankin, Garvagh/Aghadowey  (Read 448 times)

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Rankin, Garvagh/Aghadowey
« on: Sunday 27 December 20 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I have one topic about James already on this site (see link below) https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=805251.msg6736247#msg6736247

I was just wondering if any more light can be shed on James Rankin. The only things I know for certain about him were that he was a Carpenter/Architect and he had a son called Leslie Rankin born around 1807 (death cert says he died aged 97 in 1904). Another source provided by user 'Aghadowey' suggests he could have been born in 1826).
There was more than one James Rankin. If you look at all the leases-

1st December 1805...  George Bell Gortfad and James Rankin Garvagh ...  Lives of Anne Rankin daughter of James aged one year …

James Rankin
1. Annie Rankin (c1804)

8th December 1827.  ...  Lives of Charles Rankin son to Hugh Rankin of Liscall, aged 5 years, George Rankin aged 3 years and Leslie Rankin aged 1 year sons of James Rankin carpenter of Garvagh. 

Hugh Rankin, Liscall
1. Charles Rankin (c1822)

James Rankin, carpenter, Garvagh
1. George Rankin (c1824)
2. Leslie Rankin (c1826)

I can find no record of James Rankin's death, so I know he died before 1864. I would guess he was born in the latter part of the 18th century. It would be good to know who he was married to and if he had other children or brothers or sisters, and maybe who his parents were (long shot). Any help would be much appreciated  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Rankin, Garvagh/Aghadowey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 December 20 18:13 GMT (UK) »
According to Lord Garvagh's leases James Rankin's son Leslie born c1826. It's entirely possible that Leslie's age on death is incorrect. The 1901 census gives age as 90- 40 years older than wife Jane-
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Garvagh/Sarvagh/1520006/

No need to start another new topic- just add to the existing one.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Rankin, Garvagh/Aghadowey
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 23 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon, Just hoping there would be a chance, albeit a slim one of someone being able to provide additional information to this topic?

Many thanks

:)