Author Topic: Margaret Dunbar  (Read 1856 times)

Offline j1mbr0wn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Margaret Dunbar
« on: Sunday 27 December 20 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth date of Margaret Dunbar who ,married David Reid Laverie.

She was born 1850 in Tongland, there are a couple of people on My Heritage that has her birthdate as 8 Jan 1850 i cant din where this is coming from. I cannot get in touch with them ( no Subscription), I can't find it on SP i have subscription to Find My Past and can't find i there either.

I cant find an MI either, she died in Glenburnie Cottage in Glenluce 1914 and not in the old kirkyard there.

I don't like adding anything to my trees without absolute confirmation, can anyone help with this

She's 2x G Grandmother so kind of important.

Thank you

Jim Brown

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Dunbar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 December 20 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

As you have found, there is nothing showing for Margaret in the Old Parish Registers on SP. This is the only source for this info so if not there it means her birth was not registered or registers have been lost over the years. SP only has sister Mary's details from 1852 and then you move to statutory registers from 1855. Her brother Norman's details are also not showing. Maybe the Tongland registers have not survived. Mary was born in Kelton wasn't she?

So the source for this date that is been used is hard to say. Could be on her burial/gravestone. Could there also be a family bible where this info was included? Hard to say isn't it  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 December 20 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have these details on her death and burial:

Death Date: 4 Mar 1914
Death Place: Glenburnie
Burial Date: 7 Mar 1914
Burial Place: Glenluce, Wigtownshire, Scotland
Grave Number: 358
Interment Number: 21

Unless there is a remaining stone with a date (or it was recorded at some time if it not there today), don't think there will be any confirmation of her birth details from her death and burial info.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 December 20 05:20 GMT (UK) »
I have sent Jim a PM with information.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 December 20 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Were any children born 1855(Jane?) ?
Is there a chance birth dates have been included for other children ?

If you don't have that already , it would be worthwhile downloading it just for the extra information.

1855 register entries
In 1855, the first year of statutory civil registration, the following additional information was recorded:
Other children and whether they were living or deceased
Ages of both parents
Birthplaces of both parents
Parents’ usual residence
Baptismal name (if different).
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/statutory-register-births#1855%20register%20entries

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 December 20 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Jane was born  in Jan 1855 but it just lists 1 boy and 3 girls.  (add - in Kelton)

Margaret's parents, Peter Dunbar and Mary Johnstone, were married Nov 1846, Twynholm.

Margaret gives her age as 20 (so maybe b 1849)  when she marries in July 1869, Crossmichael

I was wondering if the records for that period are missing, as some of my family's records were for Parton, but the NRS coverage listings suggest not.

:-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 December 20 10:33 GMT (UK) »
there are a couple of people on My Heritage that has her birthdate as 8 Jan 1850 i cant din where this is coming from

Jane was born 5th January 1855. I wonder if this record was misread as 8th and mistaken for Margaret  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 December 20 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Just to note that her age is given as 61 in the death index, 1914. I know that ages on death entries are notoriously erroneous and Ive not seen the entry to see who was the informant.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 December 20 14:11 GMT (UK) »
There are transcriptions here, may be worth scrolling through?

https://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scottish/D-GInscriptions.html

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"