Author Topic: Unbelievable  (Read 3362 times)

guest189040

Re: Unbelievable
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,
I do understand your frustrations, and yes there have been reports of people crowding in to town centres and shopping centres. But to call these people out walking in the fresh air, and what I can see behaving responsibly, ie social distancing,  'moron's' is I feel, very unfair. These are families who are probably, like the rest of us feeling 'covid fatigue' and are looking after their physical and mental health. They are in the open air, not in crowded shops and therefore the risk is low. No, people shouldn't travel outside of their tier, but try and understand their situations before you condemn them to being moron's. Nobody knows what anybody is going through, mental health problems, domestic abuse etc. 9 months into this pandemic is taking its toll on everybody, and I feel the vast majority of people have done what has been asked of them and behaved responsibly.  Education has been massively disrupted, people have lost their jobs, or are worried about losing them. People are feeling isolated and are missing contact with families and friends. People with existing or new medical conditions are not getting treatment, they are doing the best they can to cope. Coping for some people is extremely difficult. My daughter is a mental health worker and says that since this pandemic mental health services have seen a 300% increase in people seeking help. People aren't 'moron's', they are just trying to get trough life the best way they can. Please have some compassion.

Those that get in their cars and drive to an area just to walk in the fresh air are Moron’s who deserve to be very heavily fined.

Those that drove from a new Covid strain hotspot like the South East all the way to Wales just to walk in the Brecon Beacons are more than Morons, they are plain ignorant, inconsiderate, low life's who deserve to be incarcerated for everyones safety.

Mental Health is an all to easy get out and a weak and feeble excuse.  I worked directly in Mental Health Hospitals for 12 of my working years hence I am well aware of issues.

We have self isolated for nine months and there is nothing wrong with our mental health.

I see groups of people out walking, groups who do not follow distance guidance, groups who fail to give me space despite me hobbling along with my walking stick.

The M6 motorway is nearby and yesterday it was very, very busy.  There is no way the journeys the people were taking was essential.

So yes there are a lot of Morons out there.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I can comfort you with the fact that you're not alone. Here in Sweden the Prime Minister went out with stricter recommendations regarding visits to shopping malls etc - in effect don't visit them unless it's urgent and if you have to then wear a facemask. Two days later he was seen in a shopping mall and without a facemask.

To misquote George Orwell "All 'men' are equal but some are more equal than others".
Ah yes, as did Scotland's first minister, Nicola Sturgeon 😏

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
I'm incensed!
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 14:01 GMT (UK) »
More than incensed...I am incandescent!  Flashback to the summer when things started to ease off and the Brecon Beacons (among other places) became THE place to visit, despite the something like 5-10km distance from home for exercise only that was allowed at that time.  Because it snowed overnight on Monday/Tuesday, yesterday they had to turn HUNDREDS of cars away from the exact same spot because people decided that, as they were having such a bad time of it, they would drive (many from Tier 4) a hundred plus miles just to see it and build a snowman.  One minibus held 'multiple households' which, no matter what Tier they were all in, was against protocol.  Meanwhile, most of us have been doing exactly as we should...'shielding' for most of the time, popping to the local shops, walking and wearing masks when out in public.  I want to do exactly the same thing, but needs must until this is solved.  Hubby, recovering from cancer, wants to get out and about, go on a cruise, walk through the Dales and Northumberland.  But we won't. 

Rant over...sorry! :(

Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: I'm incensed!
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 14:11 GMT (UK) »
You're not alone having a rant about it today, there's another thread going with a few angry people having their say. On "the stay safe board"
Griff

Threads merged.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Well I and other patients who had eye surgery on January 10 th and ongoing care up to the first lockdown have now been isolated for almost twelve months, some are still having to attend the eye clinics for follow up checks etc.
We are not yet able to get prescription glasses , must attend for regular check ups and any further procedures the Consultant sees as necessary to save our sight.
All are over seventy ,many almost ninety.
Living alone for the most part and just toddling along .
Relying on others to brave the supermarket or if able ,to shop online .
All our social outlets, clubs and meetings have gone , even family gatherings
are limited if we are obeying the guidelines/ rules.
Perhaps it is an age thing ,and I don’t meet others really but those I do all say the isolation is nothing new, we have very few social contacts really and spend vast amounts of time alone anyway, so,what is new!
Infirmity keeps some indoors , for others like myself far from perfect sight is very limiting and a bold venture to even walk around a familiar place.
But it can be done , and has been done for the best part of a year now .
People who don’t try their best have got to be made to realise there is no alternative if this is to be beaten.
How’s the message getting to those people ? well that is the problem, how many of those not sticking to guidelines hear the news and see the PM and Ministers speaking to us?
They don’t’t often take a newspaper so how - and if - is the message getting to them?
More Draconian measures ?
Then you get free thinkers bleating about human rights etc,we we all have those only it seems some feel they have more right to more rights  than
others , as has been quoted - all animals are equal but some are more equal than others !
Oink oink !
And that is an insult to pigs ,to compare the morons we are angry with to them.
Viktoria.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 14:32 GMT (UK) »
PharmaT:  Well said!!  I've just had a rant on 'Totally Off Topic' board (missed this one by 'wandering off' somehow! ...but not out of my Tier ;D).  We have tried oh so hard to stay within bounds; it's been difficult, it's been trying but we've acknowledged that it's been for our own good (especially with Himself having had cancer surgery in August) and stayed put.  We've had doorstep visits from our nephew (lives 2 miles away) and we did go to their place on Christmas Day, all 5 of us (inc. 6 yo) following all the guidelines; sitting where we were told; using hand sanitiser, wipes for banister when we went upstairs, etc. and hand-washing throughout the day...they had even opened up their large dining table so we could be 2m. away when eating.  When we left, we were all desperate for hugs (we've always been a 'touchy-feely' family) but contented ourselves with gloves (they put on rubber gloves and we had outdoor gloves) and touched finger-tips.  We know that there will be no such other contact (apart from said 'doorstep' until we are vaccinated and the virus is more or less suppressed.  But at least, DV, we will be alive to tell the tale - we have too much living to do yet!
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: I'm incensed!
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I work on the basis that I can't do anything about other peoples decisions ( good or bad) only my own that way I stay sane ......

So since March I have not left my home without a mask and that includes in my own garden as I have an elderly neighbour who is out in seconds if she sees me and seems oblivious to space, moans about her neice who earlier in the year took away her car keys to stop her daily outings, who delivered her weekly shopping and refused to take it into her house and at least once a week will be knocking on my door for 'some' reason or another......I even made her a mask before it was easy enough to purchase them.

I am out daily walking my dogs in my private field driving there and back, so no mixing and the only people apart from my butcher , weekly shop and my neighbour I have seen /met are a married couple who I for years  meet once a week to walk our dogs together ( when allowed) and there has been a couple of times meeting to walk even outside, with space and masked has been banned ( as it is at the moment here)

Life is precious!

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 14:47 GMT (UK) »

Those that get in their cars and drive to an area just to walk in the fresh air are Moron’s who deserve to be very heavily fined.

This is NOT against any regulations or guidance so they are not morons - it is more moronic to keep suggesting they are.  You think it is something they shouldn't be doing but why should we observe your rules/reg.

To drive hundreds of miles is very ill-judged but to drive locally to walk is fine.

I know some people who are totally against vaccination and will not do it.  They would much prefer that the virus burned itself out on those people who succumb to it, even if that includes themselves or their loved ones. Please don't go thinking that you are doing it the only way - the right way.  There are plenty who think differently.

Do what you want and feel the need to do and stop berating those who do what they want within the guidelines.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 14:52 GMT (UK) »

This is NOT against any regulations or guidance so they are not morons - it is more moronic to keep suggesting they are.  You think it is something they shouldn't be doing but why should we observe your rules/reg.

To drive hundreds of miles is very ill-judged but to drive locally to walk is fine.

I know some people who are totally against vaccination and will not do it.  They would much prefer that the virus burned itself out on those people who succumb to it, even if that includes themselves or their loved ones. Please don't go thinking that you are doing it the only way - the right way.  There are plenty who think differently.

Do what you want and feel the need to do and stop berating those who do what they want within the guidelines.

Pheno
Does common sense have a say in this?
Common sense tells me not to drive 100's of miles to breath in the stuff that's just outside my door