Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 30th December  (Read 924 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 30th December
« on: Thursday 31 December 20 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Another sleepless night, I think I broke my own record for the time I eventually went off. Was woken briefly by the noise of the bin lorry, then by NN banging the bins about at the side of the house. Four hours is nowhere near enough sleep for me.

Out for usual walk late morning, it was really cold, there were bits of ice on my car windscreen. The field was just as soggy, was coming back around the walkways, stepped onto the pavement and found it was slippery, the road was too. I'd rather have my jeans spattered with mud than walk on icy surfaces.

Made the red pepper and tomato soup, I'd just emptied the dishwasher and after making the soup I'd nearly filled it again. The soup was good but I won't be in a hurry to make it again, can't be doing with the mess.
After that I made another mess with the acrylic pour. Thank you for your confidence in me Caroline, I'm afraid this time was a failure, the lovely patterns that were forming yesterday had disappeared. I tried something else but to no avail, I was wondering if it was because it's a large vase but I've painted large garden pots successfully with the same technique. I think it's probably the shape of the vase, it's rather unwieldy. Am going to try something else with it tomorrow.

Phoned my friend L, she reminded me that it's only just over a week until art class starts again. Had messages from my sister and friend A mentioning the news that we're going into tier 4. It doesn't make any difference to me but it's very bad for businesses. Good news that the Oxford vaccine has been approved, let's hope the vaccination programme gathers speed.
Can't believe it's New Year's Eve tomorrow. If ever we all had hopes for better things in the new year it's this year.

I hope it's been a better day for Caroline and others who have been feeling down.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 30th December
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 20 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb - having just read Viktoria’s post from Monday who made me laugh till I cried.... I’m never going to moan again!
Sorry you had a poor nights sleep.... me too!
Hope you sort your vase painting out...I’m sure you will and it will look lovely...

The last couple have days have been much of a blur and frankly it’s hard to remember what I did!
Just the usual things that have been our lives for pretty much all of 2020...
In our scrabble series some tough playing and now finally I’ve clawed my way back and played a couple of real blinders ( been lucky with my tiles and made some great words with high scores..) and now we are level at 42/42 ...
I can’t believe we’ve played that many games ....
Like most of the country we’re now in T4.... to be honest it won’t make any difference as we’re not going anywhere other than food shopping at the moment...
Listening to the various briefings it was good to hear the AZ vaccine is now coming on stream ... although they were a bit cagey as to how many doses and then to find out that there is a worldwide shortage of the glass phials.....
more waiting in line... get all those hospital staff, Carers and teachers done super fast they need it most...
sadly my two grandsons primary school is in one of the areas where infection levels are high and my daughter is devastated they’re back to home schooling for two weeks.... maybe more...
I write all this on Thursday morning... the day of New Year’s Eve....
what a year it’s been....
In January on our ski trip to France without a care in the world who would have thought how our lives have changed so much...
There are positives.... we’ve become much closer to our friends/ neighbours as they have been the only  people we’ve seen, when allowed, for months...
We set up our own shopping app to enable us to help one another out when needed...
Our garden has looked at its best through all the time spent in it over the months of good weather...
According to my OH we have saved a massive amount of money.... looking forward to spending it in the near future 😀😀
The daily diaries have been a life saver at times for many of us and the RC ‘family’ are all wonderful people..
When we wake up on January 1st we will be our own Sovereign country again... many seem to fear this as many don’t remember life before we joined...
I think we will strive and do well after maybe a bit if a rocky road ...
We’re British for heavens sake with that bulldog grit and determination to be the best and show what we’re capable of...
We are all living through historic times that will be talked about for generations to come....
so although I can’t remember the mundane daily rituals I am optimistic for our future ....
I just want to get on with it and I know there are lots of others feeling the same...
Stick with it my friends... the spring is coming!

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 December 20 09:22 GMT (UK) »
31st
Woke up to heavy frost on the car this morning and it is dull and overcast

I often have sleepless nights and I got up at 12.30 unable to sleep and switched on the computer, nothing, tried several times and decided to give up. still nothing

I think sleepless nights are caused by not being able to shut down, to much on ones mind sometimes, I really felt as if I didn't sleep a wink, almost saw every hour but I must have had cat naps

I got up and had breakfast deciding not to switch the computer on, low and behold my husband turned it on and it fired up first time, relief, yes, certainly, I was worried I would be without connection to the outside world New Year, I hope it isn't going to play up

Have a nice day folks, yes, we have hopes for a much better year

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 December 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Really upset today.  Lots of grief today about me allegedly being in the pay of the "new world order" to fake covid, I've upset my neighbour as I had my window open when I had a rant about someone having 3 large parties in 3 days with 3 different groups of people and neighbour thinks I was talking about her.  Then got even more upset when that other thread was locked before I got the chance to defend myself against the allegations made.  Punished myself but as usual it is never enough.

Tried unsuccessfully to gut and scrub everything for the bells not enough hours left before the bells. Have several loads of washing still to do for a start.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 December 20 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Please make it a resolution for 2021 to stop punishing yourself PharmaT.  Try to not focus on any perceived criticism from others; perhaps try to let this slide by and think of  any positives instead.  This is not criticism by the way; it is just that it is sad to think of you self punishing (which nothing can be gained from) and feeling constantly oppressed.  Please give yourself a break PharmaT.

Talking about an open window .. I had to open my kitchen door last night.  I was going to have a small shop bought Christmas pudding after tea with some shop bought brandy sauce.  (Meant to have this on Christmas Day but was too stuffed).  Heating instructions were too small to read (absolutely tiny print).  Anyway, I guessed about heating instructions and guessed wrong.  The plastic pot melted and smoked and the smoke came pouring out my microwave. 😱  I had to turn it off quick and I had to open kitchen back door to let air in.  The pudding was ruined and all over the house still smells of smoke today. 😕
Mind, it wasn't a complete disaster in the kitchen yesterday.  I made a nice vegetarian stew with left over veg from Christmas.  Also had some home-made brussels sprouts soup made with the mound of left overs in the bag.  I know that a lot of you might be thinking yuk!  However, it really is very nice.  The first time I made this.  Very simple to make .. just onion, garlic, stock, sprouts, + potato for creaminess.  Cheese or mint can be added to the finished soup.
Wishing you all a very Happy New Year!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 December 20 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Yet another freezing night followed by another - this morning (31st) at 11.56 although blue sky and sunshine everything is still white and my car still frozen with ice.   Still, I'm not going anywhere.

Grocery order arrived around 1.30 and was annoyed to find it was all loose in crates instead of being in bags as requested and charged for.   Had to quickly empty crates placing the items in a pile on my doormat and then go upstairs to find a large bag to cart it upstairs in.   Not a happy bunny!

Not exactly sure what I did during the rest of the day - all days running into each other now.   One thing I do remember though is our cousin quiz at 7.30.   With me asking the questions the others played as 3 couples rather than individually - 2 couples got 13/30 and the couple in Dorset got 15/30.  Good to see everyone's faces again.

Had to contact our borough council as bins emptied just after 8am - however, when I got up later in the morning it was to discover that our large communal black bin had not been emptied and is currently full to overflowing.   Heard back later in the afternoon that would be emptied in the next 5 working days.   Huh!   With New Year Bank Holiday not likely to be emptied for another week.

I have a bag of rubbish to go out - where am I supposed to put it?

Concerned about my neighbours in Flat 5 - I know they had booked flights to Belfast for 22nd Dec returning on 29th - this had been booked in the summer and as we know everything went pear-shaped just before Christmas.   Their car still in car park but no sign of any life in their flat and no lights on as would normally be the case.   So, I'm assuming they must have gone on 22nd regardless (foolish) but how are they going to get back?   Still no sign of life so assuming they are still in Belfast.   Update - just heard noises outside and looking out of the window see lady of the house defrosting her car so assume they must have made it home sometime yesterday.   Put shopping bags in car so assume that is where she is now off to.  Glad they've got home safely anyway but surely there should be some self-isolating going on knowing the situation in Belfast (lockdown from Boxing Day)?

Currently 0C feeling like -3C forecast -4/5 tonight.   Oh what joy!!!!!

Where are you Viktoria?   Please post again soon and give us something to smile about.

Happy New Year everyone - has got to be better than the past 9 months surely?

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 December 20 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, it's great to hear such positive comments.  :) I wholeheartedly agree that the Rootschatters have been a lifesaver throughout all the angst of these months. I look forward to us being our own sovereign country again and we'll show Europe and the rest of the world what we're capable of.

LM, sorry to hear you had a sleepless night. What a relief to be able to use your computer, they've become a lifeline for so many people. Hope you sleep better tonight.

Pharma T, I agree with RTL, do try not to be so hard on yourself. I read your comments and the following ones in the locked thread, you spoke up well for the medical and caring professions and the posts following yours seemed to be in complete agreement. We're all very grateful for the work you do and sympathetic towards the toll it undoubtedly takes on you. We're all behind you.  :)

RTL, oh dear, as you've learnt to your cost, the microwave time for Christmas pudding is very short! Thank goodness it was only the pudding that paid the price.Although I love sprouts I must admit the thought of them made into soup doesn't sound greatbut I'm pleased to hear it was nice.

Annette, did you point out the charge for the bags on your receipt to the delivery driver? They carry extra bags so should have provided some if they could see you'd paid. Not sure what you can do about the waste disposal, other than get someone to climb on top and jump on it to flatten it down! Nice to hear that you enjoyed the quiz.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 December 20 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Very sorry your art pour didn't work this time Roobarb, hope the next attempt is better. Really glad it is routine these days for you to walk, which must be aiding your health and welfare.

Good to see you more upbeat today Caroline, and I love it that you have listed achievements for 2020 as it passes into the New Year.  You should have added all the community work you did with making of scrubs and service to the village, as the lottery is an important aspect to most I have no doubt.

RTL , I am SO very sorry you had that disaster with your pudding..... I once had some flapjacks I was making start to smoke and then burst into flames.... I suspect it happens to many people!! 
I think I will pass on the soup, if that's ok.  ;)
Great advice for Pharma, though if I overheard anyone levelling those partying allegations I could not in a million years imagine they were directed at me.  Sadly, in my home, parties are a thing of the past, so it could not possibly mean me.....

LM, yes, often sleep eludes us because we are worrying about too many things, often referred to as  chattering monkeys.  Some techniques you might try include: 
Concentrate on breathing slowly, and counting how many seconds in and out for each breath.
Play an alphabet game of names, countries, or vegetables... whatever.
Myself I find listing British monarchs since 1066, or the states of the USA alphabetically works.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 December 20 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Very sorry your art pour didn't work this time Roobarb, hope the next attempt is better. Really glad it is routine these days for you to walk, which must be aiding your health and welfare.

Good to see you more upbeat today Caroline, and I love it that you have listed achievements for 2020 as it passes into the New Year.  You should have added all the community work you did with making of scrubs and service to the village, as the lottery is an important aspect to most I have no doubt.

RTL , I am SO very sorry you had that disaster with your pudding..... I once had some flapjacks I was making start to smoke and then burst into flames.... I suspect it happens to many people!! 
I think I will pass on the soup, if that's ok.  ;)
Great advice for Pharma, though if I overheard anyone levelling those partying allegations I could not in a million years imagine they were directed at me.  Sadly, in my home, parties are a thing of the past, so it could not possibly mean me.....

LM, yes, often sleep eludes us because we are worrying about too many things, often referred to as  chattering monkeys.  Some techniques you might try include: 
Concentrate on breathing slowly, and counting how many seconds in and out for each breath.
Play an alphabet game of names, countries, or vegetables... whatever.
Myself I find listing British monarchs since 1066, or the states of the USA alphabetically works.

I wouldn't either I have left the house to walk around the block, take the girls to school (when they were open), to go to work and to buy food.  In the house have been myself, the girls (who live here) , the gas man to fix the boiler and the plumber when the toilet leaked and SW.  Not all at the same time and all masked when they have been here.  So I know if someone was complaining about people partying I'd know it wasn't me.  I do get hurt when called lazy though as not working 24/7 is the reason for that and I know I have never worked 24/7
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others