Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 31st December 2020 New Year's Eve  (Read 1557 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 31st December 2020 New Year's Eve
« on: Thursday 31 December 20 21:54 GMT (UK) »
It's not yet 10pm in England but starting early, I hope all Rootschatters in Australia have had a happy new year within whatever limitations they have and that those in NZ who are back to normal have had a ball! Happy New year to you all.

Daily diary:
Just another day for me, apart from the fact that it was one of the very few days since March that I didn't go for a walk. It was freezing cold but that didn't put me off, it was a bright day and I would have liked to get out. The problem was that the pavement and road were icy. Although it's a very short distance onto the field I didn't want to slip on the ice on the pavement,  I decided that if I were to end up plastered on New Year's Eve that wasn't the way I would like to do it! I really missed my walk though.

Spent the time instead preparing my vase for a repaint, mixing paints and doing the pour. Looking good at the moment. The rest of the day was spent doing bits and bobs of domestic things. The bird bath was completely frozen, I broke it up, chucked it out and refilled with clean water. Got onto the Superdrug chat line to customer services (for the third time), for once I got someone with some commonsense and I was told that a refund was being made. Will see if it's there within the next few days.
Fireworks started going off late afternoon and into the evening, some people must have bought a lot of them in November.
Cod loin for tea, it was soon evening.

Our local MP and councillors are unhappy that although our town has one of the lowest infection rates in the country we are in tier 4 with the rest of the wider area. My own view is that if we were in a tier where the pubs could open they would soon be overrun with people from the nearby large town and our infection rates would undoubtedly rocket.

Well here comes 2021 in a couple of hours, let's hope we can soon beat this dreadful virus that has affected all our lives in so many ways. With sincere and very best wishes to you all for a much happier 2021.  :-* Onward and upward!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 31st December 2020 New Year's Eve
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roobarb, and for all your posts which have kept us going even when not much was happening.
A link with others as if we knew each other .
I hope everyone keeps safe and well ,and your families ,where ever they may be..
All we can hope for is that some common sense is shown whilst people are waiting to be vaccinated .
There is hope now , but it is not over and we must still be cautious.
So to everyone a Good New Year , and let’s look forward to when we can hug one another again ,and I personally need a good knee strangle from Flash Harry as do other Grandparents from their little ones.
Good Night  and  God  Bless , with kindest regards ,Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Just imagine the hugs and cuddles we will get grandchildren , one 21 in 3 weeks time  the other one 18,  both miss giving me a hug, never to big for a hug are we

Night night, sleep tight

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 December 20 23:43 GMT (UK) »
A quiet night was had as I welcomed in 2021. My neighbourhood was quiet compared to previous years. Fireworks let off at 12.00. Then nothing. All quiet again.
However, the rest of NZ was celebrating.
Headlines this morning encluded this one; Watch "bored" teens run riot in Whangamata on New Year's Eve.
They smashed picnic tables, Climbed on a cafe roof, threw glass bottles at police and stole $6,000 worth of goods from a freezer. 22 were arrested. The cafe roof may need replacing.
I am pleased I no longer go out to celebrate.
To all on this board, Happy New Year. Hoping that the new year brings the light at the end of the tunnel a lot closer for all of you. Hopefully, we can all see the end of Covid.
In the meantime Stay Safe.
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 January 21 00:22 GMT (UK) »
What a shame that there's always that element who have to cause trouble. A happy new year to you and your family Carol.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 January 21 00:33 GMT (UK) »
New Motto for 2021. Be Happy.....Don't worry. ;)
Stay Safe
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 January 21 01:18 GMT (UK) »
This year has been the mother of all years and I like others won’t be sorry to see the back of it... oh yes it’s the New Year already!

🎉🎉 HAPPY NEW YEAR 🎉🎉 to all my dear friends on RC ...

we’ve kept one another going through these times and I personally thank you all from the bottom of my heart...
I’m looking forward to the day when I can give my two lovely boys the biggest hug they’ve ever had... my daughter too... like every other mother and grandmother on here too...
Carol I can’t believe the behaviour of some folk... I read too in France they have a tradition of setting fire to cars.... 😳😳 about 1500 I think last year.... so glad I live in the middle of nowhere...
Roobarb- sorry you didn’t get out today I know how you like to and I’m sure you missed it... hopefully tomorrow, well today now!, you’ll be able to. Glad to hear your vase is looking good....

Today was pretty much the same as other days... very cold all day temp didn’t get above 1C outside....
Scrabble in the afternoon... I won so now I’m one up 🎉🎉put out the flags sure it won’t last!
Read quite a bit today...
Messages from friends lots of funny little videos going back and forth...
OH started new jigsaw I bought him, 1000 piece all front doors!
Daughter FaceTimed to wish us happy new year with the boys they’d just got back from looking at the lights at Kew... it had been cancelled but then she got message to say all on and as they’re members and had booked got priority... boys had thermals on and she had six layers on! Just there for an hour ...
and do you know grandma Father Christmas was there too!
They were very excited they were being allowed to stay up a little later!
OH cooked lovely steak and good bottle of wine.
we’d put on nice clothes too make the effort for New Year.
Got another FaceTime with daughter... we’d bought youngest a glow i the dark jigsaw of the planets which they’d done and wanted to show us... all lights out and it was quite a sight... SiL had his parents on other video phones so we all wished one another happy new year very bizarre!
Toasted the new year in and looking forward to a better year for everyone all over the world....
My best wishes to everyone...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 January 21 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year Everyone!
I haven't had a chance to read properly through everyone posts yet but I will do soon. 
Yesterday, was the end of my Christmas holiday and I was back on nightshift again.  It was an early start last night which was fortunate as I was able to still get public transport there.  The buses were finishing early.  I was the only passenger all the way!  I have much to thank the bus drivers for this year - they have felt like real heroes to kerp turning out to get people like me to and from work.  I really appreciate that our local bus companies have kept the buses running throughout all this.
When I got off the bus the ground was starting to get a bit icy in parts and it felt freezing so I was glad to get in to work and into the warmth.
At midnight I could hear lots of fireworks going off in the background and after this the sound of pouring rain.
It was home in a taxi for me this morning.  I had a very chatty driver.  I am very tired now so I am just going to have breakfast and then will be off to bed as back in again tonight.
(By the way, Roobarb and Mowsehowse you don't know what you are missing with the brussels sprouts soup.)😉 Re Christmas pud - I'll never make that mistake again.  House still has a whiff of smoke about it.  I am not going to open the windows though, it is much too cold.
Thank you all for your entries, it is good that we have been able to support each other along.
As the Italians say 'Andra tutto Benne' - Everything will be alright.  🌈🌈🌈 We will get through this together. 😊
Wishing you all a Happy and Safe New Year!
Good morning to you and Goodnight from me.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 January 21 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Mrs P said to me Happy New Tier.

Sorry to hear some don't sleep too good.

When my head hits the pillow, I fall asleep. One might discuss current events and chew it over, but when tired during the day and night, I can still fall asleep.

I miss the music concerts during Covid, but instead of worrying about stuff (which I obviously still do a bit, including my additional 2019 health changes), I think how lucky I am to still be here, due to longer-term health issues.

Everyday I wake up, I think how precious waking up, is  :) Because it means another day of life.

Take care all, Mark