Author Topic: John Graham b1843  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Lizzie Smyth Collis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Graham b1843
« on: Sunday 03 January 21 02:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace back my newly-discovered great grandfather Robert Donaldson Graham.  I believe his father was John Graham b1843 in Hayton and that he (John) was something to do with railways.  I also believe that he was married to a Janet.  It seems to be a common name - as do marriages to Janets - I wondered if there is any further information available about John or his ancestors and where they might have come from.  Many thanks for any assistance that you might be able to give.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Graham b1843
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 21 02:30 GMT (UK) »
You “believe ” his father was John. Why?

Do you have a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, any other information for Robert to give us something to start with.

Added.  Just seen this other thread.  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=842216.0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 21 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  - I have since found Robert Donaldson with mother Janet and sisters Elezebeth, Annie, Maggie Mary on census 1881.  Janet is cited as a locomotive engine drivers wife - living at Donkins Cottage, Middlebie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland. 

The 1901 census shows the same family with John Graham b1845 as the head - railway engine driver living at 10, Mulcaster Crescent, Stanwix, Carlisle.  The children are born between England, Lochmaben and Stranraer. 

Robert Donaldson is shown on the later as a jewellers assistant - from the later thread you'll see we discovered he died in sad circumstances when running a chain of jewellery shops.

I cannot find anything further on John nor from where his family came. 

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 21 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out this marriage on Scotlandspeople?

GRAHAM
JOHN
DONALDSON
JANET
820/ 14
Dryfesdale

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/record-results?search_type=people&dl_cat=statutory&dl_rec=statutory-marriages&surname=graham&surname_so=exact&forename=john&forename_so=starts&spsurname=DONALDSON&spsurname_so=exact&spforename_so=exact&from_year=1865&to_year=1870&record_type=stat_marriages 

it will cost you 6 credits to download the image. Scotland, so it will name both his parents (and Janets)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 21 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant thank you - father is Issac and mother Jane, both deceased at time of marriage 14/09/1867 in Lockerbie

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 January 21 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Did he know Jane's maiden name?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 January 21 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Actually it seems Jane was a daughter - I've now found John's birth certificate - his mother was Margaret Moffat and John was apparently born in Hesket in the Forest. 

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 January 21 08:14 GMT (UK) »
??   Can you please give all the information on the marriage certificate?

there is this baptism in the indexes on FindMyPast

John Graham born 1845
Baptism date   26 Aug 1845
at    HODDAM, DUMFRIES, SCOTLAND
Father  Isaac
Mother'Jane CURRIE
Hoddam, Dumfries, Scotland

have't found it on scotlands people yet

here  https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/record-results?search_type=people&event=%28B%20OR%20C%20OR%20S%29&record_type%5B0%5D=opr_births&church_type=Old%20Parish%20Registers&dl_cat=church&dl_rec=church-births-baptisms&surname=graham&surname_so=exact&forename=john&forename_so=starts&from_year=1845&to_year=1845&parent_names=isaac&parent_names_so=exact&parent_name_two=jane&parent_name_two_so=exact&record=Church%20of%20Scotland%20%28old%20parish%20registers%29%20Roman%20Catholic%20Church%20Other%20churches

There isn't a matching birth in scotland, which fits with him being born in England

Added - of course no registration in Scotland until 1854

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 January 21 08:35 GMT (UK) »
It is extremely hard to read...

14/09/1867 - John Graham, Engine Driver from Carlisle (22) Parents Isaac Graham (illegible) Deceased / Jane (?) Graham, MS Bushby(?) Deceased.

Janet Graham, Dressmaker from Lockerbie (20) Parents Robert Donaldson (joiner) / Ann Donaldson MS Dalgliesh

I cannot find the birth certificate to which you refer with a mother Jane Currie on FindMyPast.