Author Topic: Find my Past subs  (Read 6643 times)

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Find my Past subs
« on: Sunday 03 January 21 15:59 GMT (UK) »
My sub to FindMyPast falls due in the middle of January. I've had one of the legacy Britain subscriptions.

Just a heads up - with only 10 days to go, I've just had an email to say that the Britain subscription is being withdrawn, and I am being moved onto a Pro subscription. They are, however, offering it to me with (this year!) a 25% discount, and after this year it will revert to the normal 15% loyalty discount. That, of course, is if I stay!

Presumably that will now apply to all of us on these legacy subscriptions!

That, of course, leaves me free to rethink whether I bother with FindMyPast, or shift to having a British Newspaper Archive sub instead!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Find my Past subs
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 21 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I suppose we could have expected this particularly with them releasing the 1921 census next year. 

I shall continue with them.  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 21 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I know you can Only contact people with trees if you have pro membership. Like you I have the British membership. I don’t need world wide information as 99% of my relatives come from England. They are going to charge extra for the 1921 census regardless of what membership you have.
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 21 18:28 GMT (UK) »
They are going to charge extra for the 1921 census regardless of what membership you have.
Regards
Panda

It would not have surprised me if when the time came to include it in their subscription packages it would not have been added to the Britain package.  We will never know  :).   I renewed mine a few weeks before Christmas so it has a while to run.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 21 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm also disappointed to hear this as my subscription runs out in February (I've not received an email yet).

I don't have my tree on FindMyPast and like Panda I don't need a worldwide subscription.

The increase in subscription will probably make it not worth my while renewing, shame as I have enjoyed FindMyPast.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 January 21 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I know you can Only contact people with trees if you have pro membership. Like you I have the British membership. I don’t need world wide information as 99% of my relatives come from England. They are going to charge extra for the 1921 census regardless of what membership you have.
Regards
Panda

I don't currently have a subscription, but I do have a couple of small trees there.

Are people with a Pro subscription able to contact people who don't have one?

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 January 21 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, very disappointing. They snuck my updated reminder in under cover of the deluge of emails just pre-Xmas.
The 25% initial discount still means it comes to more than the full price of the sub I was on before, and is a full18% higher than the loyalty discounted price I had paid last year.
Assuming no further rises, then next year the discount will reduce back to the standard 15% loyalty, meaning I'll be expected to pay 33% more than I paid previously (both would be at the 15% discounted rate).
And what do I get for this? Nothing new that is relevant to me that I wasn't getting already. And if I don't want to pay the extra, can I "trade down"? No, I have to cancel my existing sub and take out a new one at the lower level and be treated like a brand new customer (meaning I would lose the 15% loyalty discount)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 January 21 20:09 GMT (UK) »
The one month option isn't showing for me.  Has that disappeared as well?

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 January 21 20:36 GMT (UK) »
The one month option isn't showing for me.  Has that disappeared as well?
It's always been very erratic when I've looked for it, sometimes there but usually nowhere to be seen if I want to buy one! 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.