Author Topic: Gregor Grant and Margaret Martin  (Read 705 times)

Offline countingnames

• RootsChat Extra
  • "With a strong hand"
    • View Profile
Gregor Grant and Margaret Martin
« on: Tuesday 05 January 21 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone!  :)

At the moment, I am looking for information about my ancestors Gregor Grant and Margaret Martin. From ScottishPeople, I found out they were married on 21 April 1774 in Abernethy and Kincardine, Morayshire, Scotland. I know they have at least one son (from his death record) - Gregor Grant, my direct ancestor, born in 1786 and died on 3 August 1858 on South Street, Granton-On-Spey.

Could anyone help me with my search?

Thanks in advance. :)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gregor Grant and Margaret Martin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Here are "Baptisms" that match the parents in OPR search Grant/Martin only and variants.

GRANT ALEXANDER      GREGOR GRANT/MARGARET MARTIN
M 23/10/1775
Abernethy and Kincardine

GRANT MARGARET      GREGOR GRANT/MARGT. MARTIN
22/02/1793 
Abernethy and Kincardine

The Gregor born 1786 mother was Margaret Cameron

GRANT GREGOR         GEORGE GRANT/MARGRET CAMERON
16/01/1786
Abernethy and Kincardine

Therefore, since his death identifies his parents his birth was lost, never recorded or the registrar wrote it down wrong.

So in addition to the above siblings their may be more just not recorded.

Unless they are mentioned in the Kirk minutes chances of finding them would entail searching all Grant death's from 1855-1880 in the box Mother's Maiden and finding the 12 listed take their ages and see if they fall into the same time; roll the dice and spend coin with Scotland's People.

Good luck

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 15:09 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already used it, go to Moray Council's free "Libindx" site. It contains a great deal of genealogical information and is searchable.

Offline countingnames

• RootsChat Extra
  • "With a strong hand"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for the advice!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 21:33 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already used it, go to Moray Council's free "Libindx" site. It contains a great deal of genealogical information and is searchable.
However it covers only the area of the present Moray, not the historic county of Moray, plus information from local newspapers which may or may not include information from other areas.

The parish of Cromdale Inverallan and Advie, which includes Grantown-on-Spey, was partly in the County of Moray and partly in the County of Inverness, but none of it is in the present Moray.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.