Author Topic: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80  (Read 219964 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80
« Reply #333 on: Friday 13 September 19 10:01 BST (UK) »
  That is really helpful - thank you. Could I just ask if you have any thoughts about the gravestone?

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Sunday 15 September 19 23:27 BST (UK) »
No thoughts on the gravestone, really. I have now seen a photo of it on someone's Ancestry tree and it is certainly made to closely resemble the WWI style we know so well. My guess is that it was privately commissioned to mimic that style as a sign of respect - but it's not my area of expertise, sorry.

Best - Garen

That is really helpful - thank you. Could I just ask if you have any thoughts about the gravestone?
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Monday 16 September 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
  Thanks, I wondered if that was the case. I must check the Ancestry tree.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Lundie51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Sunday 29 September 19 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Garen,
My first post so hopefully I'm in the right place.
I would be grateful for your help as I've just found a medal from the Afghanistan War 1878-79-80 in my grandparents possessions. The inscription around the edge of the medal is 95 Pte. J. Reeves. 1/12 Reg/F. The are no ribbons attached and it appears to have had something broken off the top of the medal.
I would be grateful of and information you can give me as I have no idea how this person fits into my family.
Many Thanks 

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Sunday 29 September 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Lundie

Thanks for your message. He's on the medal roll for the 1st Battalion 12th Foot (East Suffolk Rgt.) and his name is Job Reeves.

His service record has survived and is available on findmypast. To give a brief summary: he served for over 21 years with 12 of those abroad (Australia, New Zealand (medal), India and Afghanistan (medal)), enlisting in 1858 at Wolverhampton and being discharged in 1880/81, with his intended place of residence Birmingham.

He was born in Willenhall, Staffordshire in 1836. His parents, I think, were George Reeves and Phoebe Addey (married in Wolverhampton, 1824).

He was a long-serving soldier, and one of the older Privates on campaign, but it seems the Afghan war may have finally broken his health, partly due to exposure. The 12th served in the north of the country along the Khyber line and the Peshawar Valley where they suffered a fair bit from cholera and climate. They had so many men sick that a medical inspection in April 1880 suggested they return to India, which they did in May (with one last battle at Beninga).

Hopefully there's enough there for you to follow up and see if you can connect him somewhere in your family. If a soldier didn't marry, or have children, a medal could end up with nephews or nieces, in-laws or step-children ... so it can take a bit of digging. I wonder what happened to his New Zealand medal (1860-66)?

Best of luck - let us know if you find out!

- Garen

Edit: I followed this up a bit more and I see there is a Job Reeves in and out of the poorhouse quite a bit in both London and Kent, often with a birth date of 1842/43. Some entries say he's a labourer or hawker, another a Pensioner of the 19th Foot, but another of the 12th Foot - so I think that's him. If so, he died in Chatham Workhouse on 12 Dec 1905 - a sad end, and it might suggest his medal did not end up with family (perhaps even pawned or sold years earlier).

Hi Garen,
My first post so hopefully I'm in the right place.
I would be grateful for your help as I've just found a medal from the Afghanistan War 1878-79-80 in my grandparents possessions. The inscription around the edge of the medal is 95 Pte. J. Reeves. 1/12 Reg/F. The are no ribbons attached and it appears to have had something broken off the top of the medal.
I would be grateful of and information you can give me as I have no idea how this person fits into my family.
Many Thanks

Offline Lundie51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: Sunday 29 September 19 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Garen
Thank you so much for all the information on Job Reeves.
When I saw he had served in Australia and New Zealand I thought that was my link as I'm in Australia, but on searching the regiment in Australia I found he was here from 1854 -1861, so too early to leave his Afghan Medal.
I will follow up on all the other records you have mentioned to see if I can find a family link.
Such a sad ending for him.
Once again thank you so much.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: Saturday 19 October 19 19:30 BST (UK) »
Good Evening

I have just found in my husbands tree a
William Middlemist
Service Date: 1878-1880
Service Place: Afghanistan
Campaign or Service: Second Afghan War
Regiment or Unit Name: 2nd Battalion The Gordon Highlanders
Regimental Number: 1178

Where may I find other information regarding William, and would it be possible that some where there may be of photo of him.

Regards
Moo

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: Saturday 19 October 19 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Moo

I had a quick look on FindMyPast for a service record, but couldn't see one right away - more diligent searching might turn something up. He is returned on the 1871 British Army Worldwide Index, though transcribed as William Middlemass, located at Jullundur in India (at Dalhousie, India, in April 1871).

He's on the 92nd Afghan War Medal Roll as William Middlemist - no.1178, awarded 3 clasps, for Charasia, Kabul and Kandahar, and for the Kabul-Kandahar Bronze Star.

He also appears on the casualty roll (as Middlemas) - 'sl w [slight wound], 25 Apr 1880, Charasiah, gs [gun shot] contusion right breast'.

Note the date - that's not the battle of Charasia for which he won his clasp (which was on 6th Oct 1879), but during an excursion the following year out to Childukhtean, about 3 miles beyond Charasia, where the 92nd were surrounded and had to fight until reinforcements arrived from Kabul. (The 92nd had separate wings in the initial excursion and the reinforcements, so I'm not sure which William was involved with).

A search of the newspapers turns up a mention of him in the Southern Reporter of 16 Feb 1882 ('Return of Jedburgh Soldiers from Foreign Service') and a rather nice obituary for him in the Jedburgh Gazette, 2 Dec 1905 (transcribed below).

As for photos - he was a Private, so he doesn't appear in the interesting photo of Sergeants of the 92nd Foot in Afghanistan in Gardyne's 'Life of a Regiment'. It might be worth contacting the Gordon Highlanders Museum in Aberdeen.

Hope this is some help!

Best - Garen

Jedburgh Gazette, 2 Dec 1905

DEATH OF A JEDBUROH SOLDIER — Mr William Middlemist, a native of Jedburgh, who has passed through stirring experiences as a soldier in the British army, died on Sunday at Hawick, where he had resided for a number of years. He was the youngest son of the late Mr Andrew Middlemist, basketmaker, Castlegate, Jedburgh, who did a large trade in Galashiels with the manufacturers, brewers, grocers and others there forty years ago. This soldier son enlisted along with two or three other Jedburgh lads about the sixties. He joined the Gordon Highlanders, and his service extended over a long period. He was in India for twenty years, and took part, under Lord Roberts, in the famous march from Cabul to Candahar. Other Jedburgh men passed through that arduous trial of endurance and pluck. In connection with the Afghan campaign, Middlemist was wont to relate that he was alongside Captain Dick Cunnynhame when a conspicuous act of bravery was accomplished, which gained the Victoria Cross for the Captain [this is Captain William Henry Dick-Cunyngham]. When his regiment was about to leave for home they were ordered to South Africa, and Middlemist took part in the disastrous affair at Majuba Hill. He witnessed the death of General Colley, and related how, when the ammunition of the small band of the British soldiers gave out on the hill, they attacked the Boers with meat cans and other missiles. He was made prisoner with the others at that time, and he ever afterwards deeply regretted that the Boers should have robbed him of all the money he possessed. Middlemist was a fine soldierly man in appearance and manner, and his good conduct decorations bore testimony to his qualities. When he retired from the army with a pension, he returned to Jedburgh, and stayed here for some time. He then removed to Hawick, where he thereafter resided. When Lord Roberts was in Hawick at the unveiling of the memorial to soldiers who fell in the South African war he had a long conversation with the Jedburgh veteran, who wore the medals he had received in recognition of his services. Middlemist is survived by a widow and one son. He has many relatives in Jedburgh. It may be of interest to say that Mr Andrew Storey, Bonjedward is one of the Jedburgh men who passed through the perils and endured the hardships of the Afghan campaign [Andrew Storrie on the medal roll, he died in 1921].

Good Evening

I have just found in my husbands tree a
William Middlemist
Service Date: 1878-1880
Service Place: Afghanistan
Campaign or Service: Second Afghan War
Regiment or Unit Name: 2nd Battalion The Gordon Highlanders
Regimental Number: 1178

Where may I find other information regarding William, and would it be possible that some where there may be of photo of him.

Regards
Moo

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: Saturday 19 October 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Garen

I am thrilled to pieces with the information you have given me.

Most gratefully yours

Moo  ;D