Author Topic: Finding a grave in Hull  (Read 2281 times)

Offline rockmaiden1984

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding a grave in Hull
« on: Sunday 10 January 21 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My Dad would like to find where his brother is buried. Does anyone know if bereavement.services@hullcc.gov.uk is the right email address to ask to find his grave in Northern Cemetery Hull (Chanterlands) please?

Thanks
Becky

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a grave in Hull
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 21 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Becky, Yes I believe that is the correct email address, You will need to provide his date of Death as they are organised by year and not surname.
Good Luck!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 21 22:57 GMT (UK) »
familysearch have the burial registers for Northern cemetery online, if you find your father's entry it will give the compartment and grave number  but you would still have to contact the bereavement services for the actual location.

I have a partial map of the cemetery that they supplied me with when I was searching for a grave, but that was several years ago.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rockmaiden1984

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 21 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Becky, Yes I believe that is the correct email address, You will need to provide his date of Death as they are organised by year and not surname.
Good Luck!
Carol

familysearch have the burial registers for Northern cemetery online, if you find your father's entry it will give the compartment and grave number  but you would still have to contact the bereavement services for the actual location.

I have a partial map of the cemetery that they supplied me with when I was searching for a grave, but that was several years ago.

It's been years since I asked them to find a grave, so couldn't remember (last couple of times back then I remember not getting replies from them though). Do I need the actual date or just the year?. My dad can't remember the date he died just that it was 1982 (his death was registered in either July/aug/sept of 1982 according to the death records)

Thanks

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 21 16:12 GMT (UK) »
The year and Quarter should be enough.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
When I phoned up the Registrar's Office nearly a couple of decades ago I was told there were so many burials per year that I had to refer to the Yorkshire bmd website and buy the death certificate.   I then had to show the death cert to the  clerk in the Registrar's office, as the number was important. 

http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/

As I had a few other genealogy things to sort out in Hull I travelled over 100 miles to to tick off all the tasks.   I never completed any of them as Hull seemed to be closed and the Registrar's office had a notice stating it had moved and would be open in another six months.  :o

A short time later I found one of my late mother's cousins and she told me exactly where and how to find the ancestor's grave.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 21 22:07 GMT (UK) »
There are 4 cemeteries in Hull, Northern, Western, Eastern & Hedon Road.  The burial registers for all 4 are on Familysearch and go upto 1994.

It shouldn't be too hard to find his burial, this would give his date of death also the compartment & grave number, armed with this info the bereavement services should be able to pin-point where he is buried.

If you want to give his name I will take a look for you.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rockmaiden1984

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 21 17:12 GMT (UK) »
There are 4 cemeteries in Hull, Northern, Western, Eastern & Hedon Road.  The burial registers for all 4 are on Familysearch and go upto 1994.

It shouldn't be too hard to find his burial, this would give his date of death also the compartment & grave number, armed with this info the bereavement services should be able to pin-point where he is buried.

If you want to give his name I will take a look for you.

That would be great, thanks Bee. It's Karl Orlando Atkinson

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 January 21 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rockmaiden

From the Burial register for the Northern Cemetery in Hull.

Burial no. 64714, cremated remains

Karl Orlando Atkinson, died 29/5/1982 aged 28, his urn was buried 8/6/1982 in Compartment 523. Grave no. 47
The funeral director was E.W. Brown & Son (of Beverley Road)
His address was 103, 5th Avenue, Hull and place of death was "on Hall Road, Hull"

There is a final column for "other particulars", it has the name Terence Withers

Bee
 :)