Author Topic: FindMyPast Subscription offers  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast Subscription offers
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 21 January 21 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I have received an email today offering a four month subscription for £20.

It's certainly a good offer - but my local library membership continues to make it available at no charge!

FS

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 21 January 21 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Well, I think FindMyPast is better value than ancestry, (even with its never-ending 50% off Sale).

Find a record on Ancestry in the newspapers? OK, that's another 6 dollars a month.
Find a military/Fold3  record? We'll have more money off you for that too. ( 8 dollars/month)

I think a more realistic comparison is Ancestry "all access" at a whopping GBP 224.99/year vs FindMyPast pro at GBP 159.99.

I rarely have paid-for access, I've gotten a long way with free resources.

I've perhaps had 3 years total in the past 15. It's only because of Covid that I've had an annual sub at all. Otherwise  I buy a month at a time as and when.

By all means, vote with your bank card, but please don't slag off a provider because they don't have a MFI-type Sale on all the time.

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 21 January 21 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Another bonus from FindMyPast - they update or add new records EVERY week of the year.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 21 January 21 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I had a break of a few years from the big two, frustration at the free weekends causing the sites to crash or constantly cause error messages meant I gave up with them again until last year when I went for FindMyPast again. The PR's for my main county interest were the main reason. I've got  about 3 weeks left before renewal though I'll probably have to give it a miss again for a while.  I grabbed the 25% off BNA a few weeks ago as I find the coverage better and I find the search options far better than the FindMyPast version.

The downside I've found with FindMyPast recently is a lot of census transcription errors and I've given them enough corrections to keep them going to xmas. Obviously someone transcribing has heard of Haddington being Scotland so they read Haddington, or Waddington, Lincs and transcribe Haddingtonshire, Lincolnshire, Scotland.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 21 January 21 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Well, I think FindMyPast is better value than ancestry, (even with its never-ending 50% off Sale).

Find a record on Ancestry in the newspapers? OK, that's another 6 dollars a month.
Find a military/Fold3  record? We'll have more money off you for that too. ( 8 dollars/month)

I think a more realistic comparison is Ancestry "all access" at a whopping GBP 224.99/year vs FindMyPast pro at GBP 159.99.

I rarely have paid-for access, I've gotten a long way with free resources.

I've perhaps had 3 years total in the past 15. It's only because of Covid that I've had an annual sub at all. Otherwise  I buy a month at a time as and when.

By all means, vote with your bank card, but please don't slag off a provider because they don't have a MFI-type Sale on all the time.

Buying a month's access as a one-off is great if a new set of records relevant to your research is added.  This is always easily available on Ancestry.  Unfortunately the month option is often absent or hidden on F M P.  They don't make it easy.

As for better value all round, as always it depends on personal circumstances - who has the records you are looking for.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 21 January 21 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Totally agree with you Sloe Gin, it certainly does depend on personal circumstances. For instance I find Ancestry is much better when researching Wales, on the other hand I find the Electoral Rolls & Marriage Finder on FindMyPast particularly good. At the end of the day when money is a bit tight you can't blame a person for wanting to find the best price possible & through the information given out here on Rootschat, a lot of us have saved a considerable amount on the Ancestry Subs. Thanks everyone for your contribution to this subject, my subscription has gone through at a 15% discount.