Author Topic: Mystery g Grandfather Middridge around 1909  (Read 489 times)

Offline ATaylor66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery g Grandfather Middridge around 1909
« on: Friday 15 January 21 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help me break down this brick wall in my fairly recent family tree?

My paternal g Grandmother was Elizabeth Taylor b.1880 in Middridge and lived there all her life as far as I can see. Her parents were Richard Ranson Taylor 1858-1900 and Isabella Taylor (ne.Blenkiron) 1849-1902. She was unmarried and my grandfather, George Taylor was born in Middridge in 1909. Elizabeth is listed on the census forms as living with her older brother and a nephew and niece from a different sibling which is how my father remembers.

I have had my DNA tested with 23andme but I didn't have any luck so am currently waiting for Ancestry to process a new one. I've looked for records of my unknown g grandfather having to pay a stipend but I can't find anything in the last few years.

Does anyone have any idea of anywhere else that I can look please?

Best regards
Angela

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery g Grandfather Middridge around 1909
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 21 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Does George's birth cert show a fathers name?

Does his marriage cert show a father with a surname other than Taylor - illegitimate children often made up a fathers name when they married to appear "respectable"

If not - then you would have virtually no way of proving who his father was
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 January 21 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I might be a little confused but I do not see a GRO index for George in County Durham,however I have found this 1911 census on family search, which does not tally with your post so I may be wrong and it might just be a coincidence?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWHK-Z4P

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 January 21 15:31 GMT (UK) »

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 January 21 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes more likely 1911 but still no GRO?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 January 21 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes more likely 1911 but still no GRO?

Colin

TAYLOR, GEORGE       - 
GRO Reference: 1909  D Quarter in AUCKLAND  Volume 10A  Page 201

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 January 21 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Yup, I should have realised, I was searching for Bishop Auckland, I have done a lot of research in Durham, I should have known better.

Colin

Offline ATaylor66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 January 21 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your replies, that is my grandfather and his family members on all of those records, I'm not sure why he is listed as only being 1 on the 1911 ones but he was defiantly born in 1909. The man listed as the head is his uncle, my dad only knew him as his grandad until he grew up as I think the siblings lived together all of their lives.

I don't know if dad still has it but in the past when I asked he said no one was named as his father on his birth certificate. I was really hoping that there would have been some kind of record of some kinds of child maintenance but I couldn't find anything, still hoping that the DNA will throw up a relative to my mystery g grandfather that I can trace him through.

One intriguing thing is that I have a percentage of French or German DNA according to 23andme where they say that I probably had one full-blooded ancestor born between 1840 - 1880 (my g grandmother was also born in 1880), I have spent a lot of time tracing my ancestry and unless there is another unknowingly illegitimate person or I have got the people wrong (unlikely as I have a family bible with a lot of that side in on top of the records)
so this is possibly my g grandfather but I don't suppose there were many overseas people in Middridge at that time?

I would love to be able to solve this for my dad as it does upset him still when he talks about it as it caused a major split in his family way back that was never repaired.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 January 21 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Angela, I suggest that you get your father tested if he is willing. His DNA is closer to the unknown person you are trying to identify.
Probably also worth uploading the DNA results to MyHeritage. Some people have DNA records on there but not on Ancestry. You should also upload a tree of your ancestors on both sites. When faced with thousands of matches any without trees may well be skipped over. You don't have to include much detail but do show birth and death dates and places.
My grandmother was illegitimate (born in Middlesbrough) but I found a DNA match with a woman in Canada. In her tree the only person born in England has the same surname and place of birth (a small town in Suffolk) as the man who married my Grandmother's mother two years after grandmother was born. So her stepfather was her real father. The ancestor of the woman in Canada I traced to being a cousin of Grandmother's father. So the woman in Canada is my 4th or 5th cousin. I've since found other DNA matches with my Suffolk cousins.