Author Topic: Bureaucracy gone mad?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bureaucracy gone mad?
« on: Saturday 16 January 21 14:18 GMT (UK) »
During the covid crisis, I had to claim universal credit for a short period, starting from my retirement until my partner "C" retired at the end of December (3.1/2 months) how bewildering that was, needlessly so as it seems no one at UC really knew what they were doing.
My partner is disabled, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, COPD and several associated illnesses, including a deterioration in cognitive function.
So, multiple questions answered, then answered again, all requests by them fulfilled, including a doctors fit note, signing her off indefinitely, (she has 3.1/2 months till retirement and hasn't worked for several years)
So they hounded her, phone appointments to get her back to work, even though I'd explained her situation, the same person at UC was determined to get "C" working again by at least going on a "back to work" course.
While all this was going on, "C" was, and still is receiving letters from the government, telling her that, as an extremely vulnerable person, she should stay home and not associate with with other people.
Incidentally, I had a text from UC offering me a "back to work" course, after I'd retired  ::)
So, now we're both non dependant on UC thank goodness, and waiting patiently for our jabs, at least, I am. We've heard she might not be able to have one because of all her allergies.
This covid crisis has certainly had its moments, none of which have been good.
Griff

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Bureaucracy gone mad?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 21 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Griff, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you heard about the film I, Daniel Blake? It was much acclaimed and highlighted the heartache that such beaurocracy can cause people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Daniel_Blake
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 21 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Griff, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you heard about the film I, Daniel Blake? It was much acclaimed and highlighted the heartache that such beaurocracy can cause people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Daniel_Blake
Hi Roobarb,
No, can't say I've heard of it tbh.
What I've described above is only a small portion or the rigmarole of trying to sign up to UC. They made it very obvious they weren't going to be helpful, even the doctor who signed the fit note told me that UC were making peoples lives a misery.
But, we got through it and now we don't need their "help" any more.
It must make people very depressed and angry though.
For 3 months on the trot, they told me I got paid carers allowance, even though I assured them I didn't, eventually, someone checked and they admitted they'd made a mistake.
I was entitled to it but they weren't going to pay me.
You've got to laugh really, these are the people helping run our country 😏

guest141721

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 January 21 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Griff, if it’s any consolation they can be daft here in Sweden too. When my wife’s disabled parking permit was due for renewal she had to visit the office to prove that she was still as disabled as previously. She’s been a double above knee amputee and wheelchair user for fortyfive years. I think they might have suspected that her legs were at long last growing back again.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 January 21 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Griff, if it’s any consolation they can be daft here in Sweden too. When my wife’s disabled parking permit was due for renewal she had to visit the office to prove that she was still as disabled as previously. She’s been a double above knee amputee and wheelchair user for fortyfive years. I think they might have suspected that her legs were at long last growing back again.
That's just madness! But not really surprising.
I think I've got a black mark against my name with UC.
On one occasion I spoke to someone about a form they'd sent at the end of the period I needed help, a chap told me if we didn't, it would affect our payments, I explained that as we hadn't actually had a payment in the 3 months since signing up, it would be impossible to affect them and called him an idiot.
He cut me off 😂

guest141721

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 January 21 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Once again not surprised. We were once told that the best way to get priority in the daycare queue for our children would be to get divorced. That time I cut them off -the person I was talking to that is, not my wife's legs  :D

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 January 21 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Once again not surprised. We were once told that the best way to get priority in the daycare queue for our children would be to get divorced. That time I cut them off -the person I was talking to that is, not my wife's legs  :D
😋 I found the answer to that one.
I used to be very quiet, shy, wouldn't say boo to a goose,
But after getting so frustrated with endless appointments at stupid o'clock and still be in the waiting room 2 hours later.
I learned that if you stand up and call out quite loudly, things like "is there anyone working here today?" all of a sudden, staff appear from all directions and get you seen to...... In a nice way of course 😁

guest141721

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 January 21 15:31 GMT (UK) »
"appointments at stupid o'clock and still be in the waiting room 2 hours later."

Please be on time. Been there, done that.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 January 21 15:36 GMT (UK) »
"appointments at stupid o'clock and still be in the waiting room 2 hours later."

Please be on time. Been there, done that.
Yup, me too, and getting "C" out of bed, showered, dressed, fed and to the hospital can take about 3 hours, so she signs in at reception and they look at her sat in her wheelchair, point to the waiting room and say "take a seat" 😏