Author Topic: Hoping Someone Can Date This Photo from Shrewsbury  (Read 351 times)

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hoping Someone Can Date This Photo from Shrewsbury
« on: Monday 18 January 21 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Passed to me long ago from my cousin in New Zealand, we don't know who she is but given the connection to this area is through my cousin's paternal grandmother who had family in Shrewsbury
I an thinking that she May have be connected to that line, I have looked to see if I could find anything on this photographer to get an idea of time period but have not found anything on the photographer
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Hoping Someone Can Date This Photo from Shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 10:28 GMT (UK) »
1870's & possibly into the 80's so someone born around the turn of the century.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 11:23 GMT (UK) »
The date suggested by jim1 corresponds with the time that John C Williames lived and worked in Princess Street, St Chad, Shrewsbury.

In the 1881 England Census John C Williames was described as a Landscape Figure Painter. In the 1891 return he was still at Princess Street and described as Photographer. By 1901 he had married and moved to Maghull, Lancashire where he was described as Portrait Painter and Photographer.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Here is a photo from Roger Vaughn's collection, same photographer and cardstock, dated 1880s: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~victorianphotographs/family/cdv/will.jpg
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 13:01 GMT (UK) »
1870's & possibly into the 80's so someone born around the turn of the century.

Thank you for that, it is much appreciated
ORKNEY
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 13:05 GMT (UK) »
The date suggested by jim1 corresponds with the time that John C Williames lived and worked in Princess Street, St Chad, Shrewsbury.

In the 1881 England Census John C Williames was described as a Landscape Figure Painter. In the 1891 return he was still at Princess Street and described as Photographer. By 1901 he had married and moved to Maghull, Lancashire where he was described as Portrait Painter and Photographer.
Many thanks, I could find anything for the photographer in my searches, much appreciated.

ORKNEY

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Here is a photo from Roger Vaughn's collection, same photographer and cardstock, dated 1880s: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~victorianphotographs/family/cdv/will.jpg
Peter

Thank you so much, it is much appreciated
ORKNEY