Author Topic: Burial records for Leicester 1800-1900  (Read 3123 times)

Offline SaKoHa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial records for Leicester 1800-1900
« on: Wednesday 20 January 21 22:14 GMT (UK) »

I am looking for the burial records of my great, great great grandparents John and Sarah Moseley (nee Norwich). Sarah died aged 27/28 in July 1881 in Leicester, she was living at 54 Belgrave Gate. Michael died in 1895. I would love to know where they were buried. They were in St. Margarets parish but I am unsure if they were buried in the churchyard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial records for Leicester 1800-1900
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 21 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Buried at Welford Road Cemetery, Unconsecrated Section Plot N 1047 (common grave)

12 Oct 1880 Sarah Ann Moseley aged 18 months of Belgrave Gate, St Margaret
6 Aug 1881  Sarah Moseley aged 28 of Belgrave Gate, St Margaret
8 May 1895  Michael Moseley aged 44 of Alexander Street, The Friars
10 Aug 1895 George Henry Moseley aged 24 days of Jewrywall St, St Nicholas

Looks like it was a reused grave, as also buried there on 2 Feb 1858 was Frederick Holmes aged 19 of Leicester Infirmary.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline SaKoHa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 21 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating! Thank you so much!

The newborn baby George Henry must be the infant of their son, also named George Henry (d.1945) who was my great, great grandfather.

Rather an interesting bunch. George Henry was a deaf mute who married Ann Goddard, who was also a deaf mute and had three daughters with her. He then moved his mistress Flora Tate (she was also a deaf mute!) in with them, and they had three boys together, the middle boy was my great grandfather Arthur Tate. The relationship went sour and Flora took him to court in 1917 to make him pay maintenance for the boys. She was still living with him and his wife during this as well! When she did leave, she left her youngest son Charlie with them and he was raised by them- my great aunt remembers him saying he always thought of “Ma Moseley” as his mother.

If I could ask- is it possible to locate the burial records of George Henry Moseley (1875-1945) and Ann Goddard (1865-1927/8/9)? He was born Staffordshire and she was born Leicester, Earl Shilton I believe.

I did do a search on find a grave for Michael and Sarah as I thought they might be at Welford road but it came back with nothing so thank you so much for this!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 January 21 23:54 GMT (UK) »
George Henry & Ann are buried at Gilroes cemetery, plot li 820

1 Oct 1928 Ann Moseley aged 65 of 79 All Saints Road
14 Apr 1945 George Henry Moseley aged 70 of 79 All Saints Road / City General Hospital

Buried in the same grave:
10 Aug 1908 Lilian May Martin aged 2 months of 81 Bedford Street
29 Jun 1926 Raymond James Rogers aged 14 months of 50 Bede Street

Edited to add that the child with Sarah & Michael appears to have the mother's maiden name of Cooley, so was probably the son of Edwin Moseley & Kate Cooley, who married in 1895

MOSELEY, GEORGE  HENRY mmn COOLEY  GRO Reference: 1895  S Quarter in LEICESTER  Volume 07A  Page 295
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline SaKoHa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 21 01:16 GMT (UK) »
This is absolutely fascinating thank you so much!

Raymond James Rogers must have been the son of George Moseley’s youngest daughter Beatrice as she married a man called Rogers. I wonder if my grandfather, whose middle name was Raymond was named after this little cousin of his?

Thank you for clarifying the infant George Henry Moseley for me. Edwin and Kate did have another child but she died aged four. I had not realised they lost a child before this as well. So sad.

Offline SaKoHa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 January 21 01:21 GMT (UK) »
If I could ask for your help again-

I am looking for the burial records of
Florrie Tate died October 1898, 111 Vernon road Leicester. Newborn baby.

Daisy Annie Tate
Died July 1908 Leicester.

Florence Tate born 1909 Leicester

William Tate died January 1911 Leicester

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 January 21 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Welford Road Cemetery
Unconsecrated T 269 - 14 Sep 1898 Florrie Tate aged 2 days of Vernon Road, Leicester
Unconsecrated N 132 - 22 Feb 1911 William Tate aged 6 days of the Maternity Hospital
Both were common graves with many other babies

Gilroes Cemetery
Z1135 – 17 Aug 1908 Daisy Ann Tate aged 5 months of 4 Central Cottages, All Saints Road

In the same grave is George Harry Tate of the same address, buried 6 May 1905 aged 15 months.  Also Betty Dian Jacobs aged 9 months of 4 Central Cottages, All Saints Road buried 27 Mar 1933

You've given me a date of birth for Florence but not a date of death. The only burials I can see are for adults including Florence Tate aged 50 of 111 Vernon Road/North Evington Infirmary, who was buried at Welford Road (Unconsecrated M 270) on 2 Jun 1927.

Offline SaKoHa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 January 21 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this.

Florence (Flora) Tate buried 1927 age 50 was my great grandmother. She had eight illegitimate children, five of whom died as infants.

Florrie Tate was her first child and was suffocated deliberately by Flora’s mother and the midwife. It went to court and Flora was acquitted. The most we’ve ever known about it is a tiny newspaper article that didn’t so much as identify the sex of the baby. I knew the court case was in October and a post mortem was done so I assumed the baby had died in October. Florrie Tate is the only baby i could find who died around the right time, in the right city, with the right surname. Thank you for confirming that this baby was indeed, Florrie. (Flora lived in Vernon road when she gave birth)

The other names and dates are guesses of mine as to the identities of Flora’s other children born in years in between the births of her surviving children. Florence Tate would have been a baby/small child at her death.

Daisy Ann and George Harry are certainly her children- she was living on All Saints Road at this point. William may well be.

Offline SaKoHa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 January 21 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I meant to say I have been unable to find a date of death for Florence Tate born 1908.

However just thinking about it now, in the 1911 census Flora is listed as having two surviving children and two deceased.(Florrie was obviously not included)  Daisy Annie and George Harry are these children so I can disregard Florence.