Author Topic: Joseph Shand & William Shand brothers?  (Read 803 times)

Offline Shand-Aberdeenshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Shand & William Shand brothers?
« on: Thursday 21 January 21 07:24 GMT (UK) »
I need help with my 3xG Grandfather Joseph Shand b1790 Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland and his brother William Shand.

This is his timeline.
1790 born Rathen to William Shand b1750 Methlick and Isabel Bruce b1751 Tyrie, Aberdeenshire. Married 1778 in Rathen.
1826 marriage to Ann Yule in Montreal, Quebec
1830 marriage to Jesse Ann Gray in Montreal, Quebec
1861 death Noyan, Quebec, Canada

I have recently found info about Joseph being contractor in Montreal, Quebec and working with his brother William Shand. I have William Shand's death cert in 1832 in Montreal, Quebec aged 52. If correct, then he would have been born in 1780. The family has a headstone where it lists a William Shand died in infancy.

So,my question is are they brothers? I have no birth record on William Shand. No info on a William Shand until approx 1810 in Montreal. A William Shand was on Joseph Shand's marriage records. Any help on finding anything on William Shand in Scotland would greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Shand's from Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lawrance/Lawrence from Aberdeenshire
Cardno from Aberdeenshire
Bannerman from Aberdeenshire
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen
John Shand b1713 Methlick married Jean Massie

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Shand & William Shand brothers?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 21 08:59 GMT (UK) »
It was quite common for the name of a child who died in infancy to be given to a child born later. Joseph could have had two brothers called William, the one who died as an infant and a younger William who went to Canada.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 21 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2,

I thought that as well. Any ideas on where else to look for baptism records? The parents were married in Rathen in 1778. I have 8 childrens baptisms. One of which was John who also died in infancy. Can't find one on a William. I even checked newspapers.com for any records.

It was quite common for the name of a child who died in infancy to be given to a child born later. Joseph could have had two brothers called William, the one who died as an infant and a younger William who went to Canada.
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 January 21 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid if the baptism isn't in the Rathen register on ScotlandsPeople, it won't be found elsewhere.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 21 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Based on William's death cert, he was born in 1780. I believe he went to Canada in 1810. His wife's name was Margaret Mills. Married in Montreal. Any ideas on getting info on him between 1780-1810?

I'm afraid if the baptism isn't in the Rathen register on ScotlandsPeople, it won't be found elsewhere.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 21 13:00 GMT (UK) »
If he didn't marry or have children, he won't appear in the parish registers unless as a witness to the baptism of someone else's child. Even then, it might not be certain if it is him and not another William Shand.