Author Topic: Thomas Macdonald (McDonough)1892  (Read 678 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Macdonald (McDonough)1892
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 January 21 18:45 GMT (UK) »

I was also told growing up that he met his wife on the boat over to the us but i can't find much info on Jean mcfall either.  She was apparently born 1904 in Glasgow.

There is this travel record for a Jeannie McFall aged 19 address 8 Bachron Street Glasgow in 1923. Sailed from Greenock on the Doric 27.10.1923 to Quebec/Montreal.

John

Offline JenkinsFamilyHistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 January 21 23:36 GMT (UK) »
That very well could be her.

I didn't see a Thomas Macdonald on the manifest but that doesn't mean anything.

Great find though,  I'm gonna have to see if i can follow that Jeanie mcfall and see if she's my g grandmother.

Thanks!

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 January 21 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Whilst the date is out by 2 years this lady partly fits your Jeannie. Only one birth of a Jean/Jeanie/Jeannie  between 1900-06.

MCFALL
JEANIE MUIR
F
644/3 3011
Dennistoun  (an area of Glasgow)

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 January 21 16:49 GMT (UK) »
For the back burner, this could be Jeanie's parents marriage in 1898 in Dennistoun bearing in mind her second christian name.

MCFALL
JOHN
MUIR
ELIZABETH
644/3 147
Dennistoun

John

Both images for birth & marriage are available on scotlandspeople website and can be downloaded for a small fee.

John

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 January 21 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Did Thomas have the middle name of Francis? See it referenced in some records as such.

There is a brief obit for him on newspapers.com (I don't have access). If the correct one, not sure you will got confirmation of his early details as on the index it shows his birth place as Canada.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 January 21 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Did Thomas have the middle name of Francis? See it referenced in some records as such.

There is a brief obit for him on newspapers.com (I don't have access). If the correct one, not sure you will got confirmation of his early details as on the index it shows his birth place as Canada.

Monica

Yes I've looked at that obituary but that's definitely not him.

I'm not sure what the F stands for,  on a marriage certificate to Jean Mcfall he is Thomas F Macdonald and later on voters registries i see him as Thomas F Macdonald again.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 January 21 03:31 GMT (UK) »
I think I've found Jean Mcfall.

That travel document for Jeanie Mcfall on the Doric had an accompanying ocean arrival form which stated she was born in port Glasgow in 1904.

The only person close is Jane Mcfall, born 1904 Port Glasgow, and she has exactly the same birthday as the Jean Mcfall I'm searching for.

I'm now trying now to find the route of the Doric leaving Greenock October 27th 1923.

Also if I could find an arrival manifest for that ship I could confirm if the story of Thomas Macdonald being on the same boat is true.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 January 21 10:05 GMT (UK) »
David, Posting this again for the back burner and info. Following the post by MonicaL and yourself re the "F" in name. If, and I mean if, he was Thomas Francis McDonough then he may well have been economical with his info. There is a birth of a Thomas Francis in 1904 Birkenhead with mmn Mason. His parents marriage 1903 Birkenhead--William George McDonough & Agatha Mary Mason. Agatha & children in 1911 census below.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW3J-BBT

One of the residents in the house is a Daniel McDonough aged 57 (C1854) married. Could this possibly be the Daniel who married Mary Gerrard on the 23.7.1882 who was aged 27 (c1855) at marriage.

Changing the subject, was the Jeanie Muir McFall the daughter of John & Elizabeth the one you were looking for, if so a great result.

John

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 January 21 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is the same Daniel who married Mary Gerrard. I've just flush out that whole family...

I don't believe that Thomas is mine because he would have been too young to serve in ww1.

I'll have to continue to follow the McDonough family In birkenhead as my Thomas may be among them.

And that Jean Mcfall leaving Greenock was thr same as mine but her parents were William Mcfall and Helen broadfoot (widow) formerly scullion.