Author Topic: Elijah Cumming born Forbes  (Read 1229 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Elijah Cumming born Forbes
« on: Friday 22 January 21 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I have an Elijah Cumming who has taken some finding I first found him on findagrave he was killed at Arras France 14.4.1917 it shows a lovely photo of him
Then bought his marriage from Scotland People this is to Mary Mackintosh they were married on 28.11.1903 he is aged 26 shows son of James Cumming Deceased as his father and Adamina Cumming nee Forbes ( Mary's parents are James Mackintosh and Jessie Smith ) she is 25

It has taken me awhile to find Elijah's birth there was nothing on Scotlandpeople but then I thought could it be under Forbes and sure enough it was Elijah Forbes born illegitimate 29.6.1876 mother Adamina Gordon Forbes her mother is present Margaret Forbes this is correct as these ladies are in my tree. her mother was Margaret Gordon

I found a marriage for Adamina Forbes12.12.1879 Latheron Caithness  no Gordon added father the same John Forbes but her mother is shown as Margaret Forbes nee   Lyall ... the groom is as I thought Donald Polson son of Donald Polson and Isabella Polson nee Watters

My nest thing was to get Adamina Gordons death 22.5.1833 Halkirk that was Adamina Gordon Polson Widow of Donald Polson daughter of John Forbes and Margaret Forbes nee Gordon

Is it possible that two Adamina Forbes could marry two Donald Polsons should I look for the death of Donald Polson

Next question I cannot find Elijah having any family I know they lived in Glasgow as it is shown with his death 50, Dunchattan Street Dennistoun Glasgow

Elizabeth

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Elijah Cumming born Forbes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 21 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I have an Elijah Cumming who has taken some finding I first found him on findagrave he was killed at Arras France 14.4.1917 it shows a lovely photo of him....

Next question I cannot find Elijah having any family I know they lived in Glasgow as it is shown with his death 50, Dunchattan Street Dennistoun Glasgow....

The address is from Elijah's 1917 address? Elizabeth?

Have you checked the 1911 census to see if there were any children? I think this might be Elijah here in 1911:

ELIJAH CUMMING
644/4 13/ 27
Dennistoun
Lanark

Normally service papers show marriage details and children for a service man. Can't see papers for Elijah, just his medal card, which is a pity.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 21 20:22 GMT (UK) »
In respect of the registrations you have found for Adamina, what was the occupation given for her father John Forbes? See from her 1879 marriage (someone has it on an online tree) that father John is showing as a fisherman and cooper by trade. What about other mentions of him? Likely the different maiden name for her mother Margaret in her 1879 was simply an error. These errors are not always by the groom or bride. The clerks were sometimes made mistakes... The good thing is that you have the correct details on Adamina's 1933 death reg.

Monica

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 21 21:09 GMT (UK) »

On the marriage of Adamina to Donald Polson John Forbes is a Cooper Fisherman

On his wife's death certificate Margaret Forbes nee Gordon
 he is a fisherman cooper

On Adamina Gordon Polson death  in 1933 John her father is a Cooper Fisherman deceased
Could Margaret Lyall be an Error
Thank you Monica

Elizabeth

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 21 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry while I was writing your answer came through

Thanks again
Elizabeth

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 21 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, you are right. I did add later that I think the different maiden name for Margaret, mother of Adamina, is simply an error. Young Elijah is with his grandfather John Forbes in 1881 at Knockinnon.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 January 21 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Just as additional confirmation. First born daughter to Adamina and Donald likely this entry:

MARGARET GORDON POLSON
042/ 20
Watten

Monica

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 January 21 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again
Elizabeth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Monica I found Elijah's birth
I thought could he be illegitimate and here he was born June 26 1876 At Latheron Caithness
he is down as Elijah Forbes attending the birth is grandmother Margaret Forbes with a x

I was going through old papers and found I had Elijah in 1911 census from Scotlandpeople the very last person on the page
there are 4 living in the house and he is the Head he is 32 and a Gardner born Latheron Caithness the house he is living in is 186,Fisher Street Dennstoun Glasgow
I purchased this document on 10th February 2019 so I'm too late in asking for the next page I have done this before but at the same time of the order

Will there be any record anywhere else
Elizabeth