Author Topic: John Broadhurst/Broadhouse  (Read 392 times)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Broadhurst/Broadhouse
« on: Friday 22 January 21 17:59 GMT (UK) »
John Broadhurst died at Polesworth in 1839 and was buried there on 11 April. From the burial record, I know he was born circa 1764.

He had married Elizabeth Deakin on 4 December 1786 at Polesworth. Witnesses were Samuel Long and Samuel Kettle, they don’t appear to be relations.
John and Elizabeth then baptised their son Thomas on 28 July 1787. For some reason, there appears to have been a name change for the family as the family appears as “Brodehouse” in the register. But John is back to Broadhurst when he is buried in 1839. There were also two other children, James and Mary Broadhouse, baptised in 1804 and 1808.

John may also have been the same John Broadhurst that married Elizabeth Shelley on 7 October 1782 in Tamworth. They possibly had a son named John who was baptised at Polesworth in 1783. I haven’t found a burial for this first Elizabeth yet so I’m not sure if we’re looking at two families or not??

I’d really like some help in taking this family back further if possible.  ;D Thank you

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Broadhurst/Broadhouse
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 21 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I've seen Broadhurst and Broadhouse used interchangeably - it was probably down to pronunciation rather than spelling back then.

I don't think it's likely that your John was the same man who married Elizabeth Shelly in Tamworth. Unless it states John was a widower when he married Eliz. Deakin? Have you seen an image or just a transcription?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 21 17:35 GMT (UK) »
The John that married Elizabeth Shelly signed the marriage register, the one that married Elizabeth Deakin was marked (x).  There is no indication of the one marrying Elizabeth Deakin being a widower
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 21 21:12 GMT (UK) »
The John that married Elizabeth Shelly signed the marriage register, the one that married Elizabeth Deakin was marked (x).  There is no indication of the one marrying Elizabeth Deakin being a widower

Well spotted, rosie99, I hadn't noticed that. There are very few Broadhursts in Polesworth before the 1780s so I don't think John was from Polesworth originally.

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 10:22 GMT (UK) »
What about this? Found in the burial register for Polesworth for 1833.

John Broadhurst, Polesworth, May 18, (aged) 35

Could be another son of John Broadhurst and Elizabeth Deakin?

12 September 1797, Baddesley Ensor: John son of John and Elizabeth Broadhurst (of) Grendon

Grendon is about 3 miles from Polesworth according to Google. I think it’s worth seeing if any more of John and Elizabeth’s children were baptised here or elsewhere. It could be a clue as to where John was from originally?