Author Topic: Wilsons of Dyan and Kilmore, Tyrone - NZ, Birkenhead, Belfast descendants  (Read 594 times)

Offline dyanhill

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
First Posting > Seeking researchers interested in the Wilsons of Dyan, Kilmore and adjacent townlands in the parish of Aghaloo, circa 1750-1900.  Includes sons of Andrew Wilson and Eleanor Speir Irwin - James Erwin Wilson, Henry [Speir] Speer Wilson and Daniel Cook Wilson - who emigrated to New Zealand.  Also includes descendants of brothers Isaac, John Vance and James Wilson of Birkenhead/Liverpool, England. Also includes descendants of Abraham Wilson, Belfast.

Offline steele.roger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Wilsons of Dyan and Kilmore, Tyrone - NZ, Birkenhead, Belfast descendants
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm a descendant of Henry Speer Wilson and would very much like to be in contact to swap information.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Roger Wilson Steele

Offline DrewDughi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 January 24 21:38 GMT (UK) »
The only information I've found so far linking WILSON to Kilmore was a 1796 list of Flax Growers in county Down. Their list includes a Hugh Sr and a Hugh Jr.

-Drew Dughi, Bennington Vermont
GGGGrandson of Elinor WILSON McBRIDE (bc1800), of Ballydorn, co Down, and Omagh, co Tyrone

Offline DrewDughi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 January 24 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Correction to above post:
The Kilmore I connected to WILSON was the one in co Down, not co Tyrone.
Darn these repetitive placenames!

All the best,
Drew Dughi

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wilsons of Dyan and Kilmore, Tyrone
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 January 24 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Wilson Sr. (who died in 1850 near Dungannon) was a noted land surveyor, as were his sons Andrew (who went to New Zealand) and John (who remained in County Tyrone). Researching these Wilsons at PRONI, we see that PRONI Ref. T3037 includes a letter from Dr. E. M. Patterson to the "Keeper of the Records" at PRONI, dated 12th June 1973, in which Dr. Patterson enclosed a copy of his ancestor Andrew Wilson's handwritten 1844 will. The two-page will document has no signature, date or witnesses, so this was a draft.

Details from this will draft:

The Fourteenth day of June one thousand eight hundred and forty four

I, Andrew Wilson of Allen, Land agent, being of healthy body and sound mind and memory... do make and ordain this my last will and testament...

I give unto my wife Elenor Wilson otherwise Irwin twenty pounds sterling with all the household furniture in my kitchen her bed and all other articles she had  or brought with her when we married... Also I bequeath unto her the house in Mill street in Aughnacloy and also the.... at Tully that her father leased to me during her life and at her death the same houses and gardens in Aughnacloy & Tully to be let and the property equally divided between Elenor Wilson, James Wilson, Henry Wilson, Daniel Wilson & Thos. William Wilson my five children by Elenor Wilson otherwise Irwin...

My lease hold property in Allen, Moree & Gortavale I give devise and bequeath to my son John Wilson by paying the above twenty pounds to my wife...

...Sale of rest of property [with details] to be "equally divided between Mary Elen James Henry Daniel & Thos. William Wilson my children."

I allow my children Samuel Martha Robt Hugh Jane & Andrew each one shilling if demanded.

------- end of will draft -------

RootsChat member <DyanHill> has done extensive research on this family, and I've researched them a bit as collateral kin to my own ancestors. Both of us are glad to share research notes and help anyone interested in the Wilsons of Dyan, Kilmore and adjacent townlands in County Tyrone. They're a fascinating family with a meaningful heritage in Ulster.

Annie