Author Topic: Hodnet Parish Registers  (Read 551 times)

Offline LeedsHipPriest69

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hodnet Parish Registers
« on: Sunday 24 January 21 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Charles Tew of Hodnet (d1736)

I can't find his birth or marriage to Elizabeth within Hodnet Parish Registers that were published online.

There is reference to  Charles Tew (b abt 1685) who married an Elizabeth about 1714 and the children listed match what I know to be correct on the IGI, and this is sourced as "citing FHL microfilm 456,631". I have no way of verifying this, but find it strange that neither entry is listed within the said Parish Registers in spite of that time period being included within the scope of the printed Registers.

Any advice or help in confirming the above would be appreciated.

There is a reference within a family tree on Ancestry to the parents of Charles being George and Isabelle. I have requested the source of this assumed parentage because of the lack of Charles birth being within the published Registers, and still await. My guess is the Ancestry account holder is using supposition, simply because the Registers make reference to the burials of both George and Isabelle after the birth of Charles. Sadly many of the entries within Trees on Ancestry appear to be based on no source evidence whatsoever.

Thanks in anticipation for any help
Benn (Yorkshire), Cock (Ashill, Norfolk), Dickinson (Newton on Trent and Saxilby, Lincolnshire)  Rhodes (Yorkshire), Tew (Shropshire/Staffordshire), Wilks (Yorkshire)

Offline wb54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hodnet Parish Registers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 February 22 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi LeedsHipPriest69,
                                Just came across your message, don’t know if you have found
                                anything to help with Charles.
                                I have searched the melocki.org.uk web site and checked
                                for  Hodnet parish register Charles & Elizabeth .

Some you might have, but found these.
                                Baptism, 1716. November 30,  Robert. S. of Charles and Elizabeth Tew.
                                              1724.  January 6,      Elizabeth. d of Charles and Elizabeth Tew.

Burials,  1720 starts with May 6.
                                           1720 January 15,  Isabell. W. to George Tew.
                                After March 18 is April 17 1721.

1736. September 21. Charles Tew, of Hondet.

As for the marriages 1709===1717, nothing about Charles and Elizabeth.
                                Could it be they married in Elizabeth’s parish and lived in Hodnet?

Hopefully this might be of use, looks like Charles and George are
                               two different people, may be brothers?
                               Best regards,       Billy.

ballance-belfast,derry,tyrone.parsons-dublin,belfast.lucas-tyrone,belfast.davidson-belfast,newcastle-upon-tyne.rankin-holy island,newcastle-upon-tyne.aitchison-belford,newcastle-upon-tyne,gateshead.harbottle-belford,northumberland, nz & australia.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hodnet Parish Registers
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 February 22 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Charles Tew of Hodnet (d1736)

this is sourced as "citing FHL microfilm 456,631". I have no way of verifying this

You can check FHL microfilm numbers on familysearch.org.
Go to 'catalog' in the menus across he top, and put in the number under 'Call number: film/fiche/image group number'

Film 456631 is 'Sealing for the dead, couples and children 1943 - 1970'.

If you go back and put in 'Hodnet' in the 'place' box, then under 'Church Records' there are several films.
The actual parish register film don't start until 1755 for marriages and 1813 Baptisms. That film number is 1657857.
There are films of the BTs 1630 - 1849. Films 429026 and 5012931.
Also a film of transcriptions of the parish registers 1659 - 1812. Film number 1886132 Items 2 - 4.

There are several films of Parish Chest materials, which might have interesting material in them.

Unfortunately all these Shropshire films are locked and can't be viewed at home even if you're signed in (free and very worthwhile if you've not registered already. They have lots of parish register films and many other useful films that may not be available elsewhere. Quite often viewable from home. I think it depends on the agreement they have from the records provider). That means you have to go to an LDS library to view them. At least they are viewable digitally, and you no longer have to order them and wait 3 months for them to arrive at the library as you used to have to do.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs