Author Topic: Burial for Nicholas Lambert  (Read 426 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Burial for Nicholas Lambert
« on: Monday 25 January 21 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I’ve read that Nicholas died in 1615, but I don’t know where and when he was buried. The two candidates appear to be either Banstead, where he was christened in 1574/5, or Chipstead.

If anyone could help me, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial for Nicholas Lambert
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 21 22:03 GMT (UK) »
What’s the source of your information about his death?

As far as I can see, no burials were recorded in the Banstead register between September 1613 and May 1617.

There are no registers for Chipstead before 1656.

Just in case it’s any use, a Nicholas Lambard, ‘one of the guard’, was buried at St Dunstan in the West (City of London) on 13 September 1615.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 21 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking into that! Apparently his will is dated 1615.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 21 23:17 GMT (UK) »
The will is at LMA, images on Ancestry, with an abstract on FindMyPast (Surrey & South London Will Abstracts).

He wrote it on 12 September 1615, and it was proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Surrey on 27 September 1615, so that at least narrows down his date of death.

He’s described as a gentleman of Chipstead, Surrey, so probably buried at Chipstead, but no registers survive for that date. The earliest Chipstead register was destroyed by a fire in the later 17th century ...

https://www.surreyarchives.org.uk/collections/getrecord/SHCOL_P8

(Note that some online trees have him dying at Chipstead, near Chevening, Sevenoaks. But that's in Kent and it's the wrong Chipstead.)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Nicholas and his family are mentioned in Burke's Family Records (p.366-7), which can be seen at Ancestry (indexed) and possibly elsewhere too. However, bear in mind that some of Burke's publications can be a bit fanciful.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk