Author Topic: A DNA coincidence?  (Read 674 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
A DNA coincidence?
« on: Monday 25 January 21 21:40 GMT (UK) »
The big list of DNA matches came through from FTDNA with over 2,000 matches of varying degrees. I had never yet had a match on my own surname until now. There was a lady who had a 61cm match with me. As a result I emailed a person who has my surname in the same area. Result she is the ex wife of his son. So the DNA link is either through my mother's side, or my father's maternal side. Quite coincidental I think.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: A DNA coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 01:00 GMT (UK) »
It could also be, they have children & she's managing one of their DNA results or another relative of theirs connected?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
No, there are no children to the dissolved marriage, the management is possible but I think unlikely thanks.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline JohnDoe2020

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 January 21 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning. Maybe not as coincidental as you might think. Depending on origin and time period, but quite common everywhere including the US, many families intermarried within the same community family groups. Many families married first cousins. Depending on your time horizon, you might see the same surnames marrying over two hundred years or more so it is possible the connection is elsewhere. Use DNA Painter (free) to input the cm and it will provide the probability of specific relationships. These are all generationally dependent. If this lady is your age, she can't be your GG Grandmother.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 January 21 17:34 GMT (UK) »
At a guess she will be at least 50 years younger than me. Her former father in law is almost 10 years younger.
Thanks for the tip.