Author Topic: Diary- Tuesday 26 January 2021  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary- Tuesday 26 January 2021
« on: Tuesday 26 January 21 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Good news - I’m having my first COVID vaccination on Saturday.

Bad news - it’s poured with rain all day.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Diary- Tuesday 26 January 2021
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Had mine on Sunday.  Apart from a slight stiffness in my arm yesterday  - no problems.

Good luck for Saturday ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Very succinct ladies!  ;D The good news outweighs the bad.

Diana in Canada, didn't get chance to reply to your post for Monday, you painted such a lovely picture of your dog after his bath, I can just imagine.  :D  It will certainly be something for you to look forward to when the 1921 census is released.

My day on Tuesday:

Was in two minds whether to post to the diary thread today but I would hate to deprive anyone of the boring details of my day!

Frost again this morning but not such a hard one, the bird bath hadn't frozen after I'd tipped the ice out yesterday. No reply yet from my art teacher so couldn't progress with my painting. Grocery delivery was coming at lunchtime so I sorted out the fridge etc ready. The driver was very quick with the crates, then I did the usual wiping and storing. The cold weather is actually quite useful in that respect, anything I store in the coolbox in the garage stays nicely chilled, it's as good as a fridge.

After that I cleaned the bathroom and other chores. Had arranged to go for a walk later with my friend, it started raining late afternoon but had stopped when we met after five but it was still pretty cold. I'm looking forward to when it's light in the evenings and we don't have to be restricted to walking around the streets. Regardless of our route, our walks have been a Godsend to me.

Did some fish for tea, watched Long Lost Family. It's so sad to hear the stories of all the women who had to part with their babies, all because of the attitudes of the time. So touching when they're reunited after many years of longing for the day.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Gibes and CaroleW, very happy to hear your good news!
Roobarb, sounds like you had a productive day.  Everything will be easier when the weather warms up.
The dog is sitting here with me, back to his fluffy self!  Like a lot of dogs, he likes to tear around after a bath, always gives us a laugh.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Having a dog has been a lifesaver to many people during these awful times.  I love dogs & although I don't have one - for the past 10yrs I have walked my neighbours Westie while they were at work.  Have continued because they are now both working from home. 

I love walking but find it more interesting with a little furry companion.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Having a dog has been a lifesaver to many people during these awful times.  I love dogs & although I don't have one - for the past 10yrs I have walked my neighbours Westie while they were at work.  Have continued because they are now both working from home. 

I love walking but find it more interesting with a little furry companion.

Lucky you, to have a walking buddy...Westies always warm my heart.
I always think how nice it is that pets have no idea what’s going on in the world, if we are happy, they are happy.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations to you both.... I shall also be having mine on Thursday! 😀

Once again I’d typed up my diary and hadn’t been able to post it... so here we are again!....
I woke up quite late probably because I’d decided to listen to my audio book the night before! I put on my head phones and settled down and I must have fallen asleep as I was suddenly woken by the narrators loud voice in my ear!... I’d missed a whole chapter... at least I can related to it!
The morning was dull but not as cold... snow still lying around although you could hear the drip drop as it’s starting to melt...
I decided to have porridge for breakfast as OH is bread making meaning it’ll be a late lunch so thought the porridge would be more filling!
After breakfast put some washing in although it’ll have to be dried indoors as no chance of it drying outside...
We got all our old business paperwork that’s more than six years old out and shredded it... more to do after April once new tax year arrives...
As it was forecast to rain I walked up the village to deliver the lottery winnings... I took a ski pole with me just in case as there’s still a lot of snow around and didn’t want to slip on any icy bits! ... don’t need to end up in hospital at the moment with a broken anything...
Lunchtime by the time I got back and it’s always enjoyable to eat fresh baked bread!
I had an email from my new second cousin thanking me for sending all family papers through to him... so I emailed him the rest I’d not been able to copy ... as I’d got all my family stuff out I spent the afternoon making further progress with my Lloyd / Elliott’s (my maternal side) family  ... a few others had more info which once I’d checked out was able to able to add to my tree... some info was incorrect ... it baffles me that people don’t look carefully at dates, places times etc... do you politely inform them.... never get replies or if you do they insist it’s correct when it clearly isn’t... so given up with that!
We listened to Boris telling us the deaths are now over 100,000 ... quite terrifying how in these past weeks it’s reached those figures so quickly...
Had a call from my friend M who works at Gatwick... the South Terminal not even getting staff or maintenance coming through now so closed... her shifts are still ok at the moment but instead of monthly schedule it’s being done on a weekly basis..
Got a text from our doctors surgery inviting me to click the link... which I did takes you to NHS site... put in your d of b choose which of two centres you want to go to... same one as OH went to... pick your time and it’s that easy... can’t believe I’m actually going to get vaccinated on Thursday lunch time! Interesting I’d contacted the surgery to check they had my mobile number! I’m not 70 until September!....
For dinner I stuffed chicken breasts with cream cheese, mushrooms and fresh herbs wrapped them in bacon and oven cooked... had mash and cabbage to go with it.
Watched Greg Wallace in South Africa... not that keen on him but scenery lovely... Jack Dee in Siberia... rather him than me in that cold camping out on his own for three nights! and finally Ben Foggle in Scotland spending a week with a chap who lives off grid... sort of!
Hope to hear of more people getting vaccinated soon to... at least UK doing well with this... hope supplies keep coming through and EU don’t throw spanner in the works by behaving so badly as they’ve not got their act together properly yet and we have... smacks of sour grapes ....
That’s all for today... take care and stay safe everyone..

Caroline

ADDED - Diana your comment about your dog tearing around after a bath reminded me that ours used to do that too... I’d quite forgotten! We had a German Sheppard who was a daft animal, lovely but daft! I remember the first time we bathed her... I was a child then but helped my mum who’d lifted her into the bath ( we were living in Ethiopia at the time) she got washed with a solution called Gamatox... not sure why but probably to keep bugs away... she then jumped out if the bath proceeded to shake herself soaking Mum and I then tearing round the house line some lunatic... leaving us dripping in this gamatox stuff!

Carole - nice for you to have the company of your neighbours dogs when you’re out for a walk too...

Roobarb- I admire your fortitude going out after dark in cold weather to walk! Roll on warmer lighter days when you’re able to go to other places too! Always good to have company though...
Hope you hear from your art teacher and you can make more progress with your painting...
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Your dinner sounds delicious Caroline. I feel inspired.  :)

Congratulations on your upcoming vaccinations everyone.  ;D

Carole - Westies are lovely - they are my OH’s favourite small dog.

I saw a headline suggesting that cats and dogs might need to be given a covid jab,but now I can’t find the article. Some apes in a zoo in the USA caught it from a handler. Cross species illnesses are terrifying I think.

A quiet Tuesday for me - baked a custard cake as daughter and boyfriend were visiting. Turned out quite well but frustratingly I couldn’t find the recipe for the one I had cooked previously - nor could I find the recipe for custard icing, not that it would’ve mattered - I didn’t have half the ingredients I needed anyway. I’m looking forward to making Caroline’s courgette cake but am waiting for some decent ones to appear in the shops - must be out of season I think.

Watched a few episodes of “Traces” - am quite enjoying it. Finished watching “Finding Alice” a few days ago - enjoyable and a bit different I thought.

Usual dog walk in the afternoon. Weather hot and humid. Not pleasant.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Glad to know everyone is progressing nicely and even getting first dose of vaccination. I shall be 70 in June, but nothing for me despite medical condition, so I am feeling somewhat side swiped!

After such a glorious sunny day yesterday, it was our turn to pay, and we had rain all night, so woke up to a wet and dismal morning, but being grocery shopping day, scrambled around to be out early enough to avoid a crush.
In the car by 08:20. However did I manage when I used to be at work before that time every day?  Got dizzy traversing the one way system so I could pick up bread from the artisan baker en route, and arrived to a very quiet supermarket which was far less stressful, and worth making the effort.
Home again in less than an hour, and the only problem with that was it left a long time till lunch.
During the afternoon had a bracing and brisk walk along the prom and back.
It was very refreshing to get some speed up without being tripped up by dogs and tots, and not to have to skulk around adults wandering along, impervious to us trying to distance from them.
The downside being it was only deserted because of the rain and wind, but we got our exercise regardless.  Visibility was very poor. Peering through rain drops on my spectacles, I couldn't see Berry Head, or Brixham, and could just make out 2 cruise ships at anchor.  Checking the app later it seems another 2 were hidden by the mist, but the NATO ships have dispersed.
Made the mistake of watching the Downing Street briefing. My Bp has soared!
I live in hopes there is at least one bereaved family containing an angry lawyer, who will start the ball rolling for mass action against the powers who have continued to flounder ineffectually allowing such a horrendous death toll. It makes me so furious to consider that very soon they will all be given peerages and a seat in the House of Lords.  >:(

Oh, and I noted the post from Pheno! Glad she is home again, and well enough to partake in the quiz and discussions.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.