Author Topic: Marion Scott Nisbet  (Read 1167 times)

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marion Scott Nisbet
« on: Wednesday 27 January 21 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks
I would like to connect with any members of the 1st family of the above who was my gt aunt.  She was born in 1866 in Whitburn but by 1884 she lived in West Calder where she gave birth to a child.  The child's father James McCallum left for the USA before he was born.  When he was two she left him with her mother and also went to USA.  In 1888 she married the boy's father in Boston.  The following year she had a daughter Jane in St.  Louis, Missouri.  Two years later another daughter Martha  and in 1893 a son William Nisbet in Illinois.  After that there is a blank until she was back in UK giving birth to James Jackson born December 1897.  They moved to London where she had a further son Archibald in 1901.  By 1907 they were living in Gourock and an illegitimate daughter was born.  The child was not her partner's (I say partner as I haven't found any evidence of whether she divorced or when she returned).  James McCallum, Martha & William had returned to Scotland by 1901 when they were living with James's parents on Shetland.  Marion died in 1939 in Shotts and James in 1949 in Addiewell.  I would love to know more of her 1st family.  If anyone can fill in the blanks I would be very grateful.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Marion Scott Nisbet
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi doolittle

Do you mean Marion's children with James McCallum? If so, this looks a possible death entry for daughter Martha. No other surname showing for her so likely did not marry?

Martha MCCALLUM
Mother's maiden name NESBIT
Ref 142/ 2
Stromness

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Also, a possible death for son William:

William NISBET MCCALLUM
Mother's maiden name NISBET
ref 746/ 829
Newington

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a marriage for daughter Jane?

Jeanie LAUDER MCCALLUM and John HARVEY
639/ 236
Dalziel

This image can be viewed online on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Unfortunately, the two deaths are outside the period where you can view the death reg online. Certs would need to be ordered (post covid as offices closed at present for these types of orders).

Monica

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 January 21 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Wow Monica
I knew of William's death but not of Martha's or Jane's Marriage.
The middle name is the maiden surname of Marion's mother.  I have not been able to find Jane on the 1901 census only Martha and William were with their father on Shetland but it looks like Martha remained there when James and his parents returned to West Lothian before the 1911 census.
doolittle 72

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 January 21 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
I am sorry to report that the Jeanie Lauder McCallum had been married before this marriage and her maiden name different.  However I am so grateful for all your efforts to locate this family.  William married in 1923 and reported his mother was deceased but when he registered his fathers death in 1949 he did not declare so!  Martha's death will have to wait!
I tried to find evidence of the family returning from USA, or whether Marion returned with them or did she abandon them in USA. 
oolimtle

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:44 GMT (UK) »
That is a pity about Jane  :-\ Guess if you don't have her in 1901 with her siblings, she may have died young?

James McCallum's death, reported by son William. I am looking at an online tree which shows James as a widower so Marion's death was noted.

There is a reference to his gravestone here www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=182377

Monica

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
You are a star!
Where is this tree?  Is it on a site I can access?  They had an earlier child in 1884 before Marion went to USA called James.  He was with his grandmother in 1891 but I have been unable to find him since.
Doolittle

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 January 21 20:09 GMT (UK) »
The tree on is on Ancestry www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/107206329/person/210056097963/facts

You need a subs to view it which is always a pain! There is nothing on the tree regarding first born son James. Some basic details mostly on son William and brief mention of Martha.

Monica