Author Topic: Pregnancies in Ampthill Workhouse  (Read 586 times)

Offline tellytub

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pregnancies in Ampthill Workhouse
« on: Wednesday 27 January 21 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  I'm trying to understand a bit more about an ancestor who gave birth whilst residing in Ampthill Workhouse.  She came from a working class family (mother was a straw plaitor) and the only member registered as living at the workhouse.  She is living there aged 23 where she is working as a straw plaitor; in the same year, it is noted she had 2 offences of 'misbehaviour in the workhouse' and sentenced to days hard labour.  She sounds quite a troublesome character! 2 year after the 1881 census, she gives birth to her third child with no registered father..  I'm waiting on birth certificates for the two first born to see whether they were born in the workhouse and that may explain why she entered the workhouse in the first place if unmarried and pregnant, and why she stayed.  I would like to understand how relations were in the workhouse between opposite sexes to explain the third child's birth; was it common for female inmates to fall pregnant whilst living there?; would the father likely have been another inmate or, someone who worked there? Any help / insights would be appreciated.  Thanks